News:

Main Menu

Core 2 Duo and Mac

Started by Chilbear, September 16, 2007, 11:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilbear

Has anyone tried to put a Mac HD into a WinBloze box that has a C2D motherboard and processor?

My Son craves my iMac and I gave him a Bloze box and need to upgrade him. So I started wondering hmmm..

I would bet there is a circuit that is processor specific. Is a C2D Mac processor the same as a Bloze version?

-- No specific names and / or suggestive emotions were used in this thread -- intentionally - me bad --

Admin

The new Intel Mac uses Intel's new Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) while most PC's still use a bios. I believe that is what will keep you from running OS X on a regular PC.

jezza

Not to contradict, but that's the whole problem. If I understand correctly, the whole reason you can't get windows working of an external is the whole Bios/Efi thing. Please feel free to correct/flame me if I'm wrong. Not to mention file systems etc.
one sick prepress mofo

Joe

I think we said the same thing. I mean the whole efi/bios issue.

If I remember correctly I think some of the newest PC's use efi...or soon will.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

zox

EFI has nothing to do with it.
EFI is simply more modern BIOS (more advanced features and such).

There is a chip (DRM) on Mac Intel motherboards that MacOSX requires to be present, in order to boot.
Regular Intel motherboards don't have that same chip.

There is pirated version floating around that has broken DRM protection but I would be afraid to load it on my PC.
It is always step behind regular system and who know what else is broken/adjusted in it, no guarantees.

If price is the problem, get him Mac Mini. It has recently been updated to Intel Core 2 duo and you can use monitor from his PC.

delooch

yeah,"a friend of mine" tried installing that patched macOS 10.4. Not worth the trouble, unless you have 23 hours to kill and like reinstalling OS's. It does work though.

Chilbear

What was in my mind was to clone my HD, change the motherboard in the Bloze box install the clone HD and instant pseudo Mac but it seems Jobs has thought of that.

We are about $400 to change the board, processor and power supply and about $800 for a 20" imac C2D one gen old (used). The lad needs Bloze to run Autocad for Tool and Die courses in College. Looks like Imac will happen. Thanks everyone.

Next question for Parallels users - can I install the second copy on the C2D with the same serial number as long as the other (on our 24") is not running? Does it serial number check around the network?