PC pitstop can't find Arial Bold

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, April 02, 2008, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Sound like a theme for a nightmare...

I used to be able to embed arial Bold in pdf's with global font change but lately, the option to use arial Bold from the system fonts is not there. I installed the whole arial family in the fonts folder first. All the others show up except Arial Bold. I've removed them from the fonts folder and activated them through Suitcase but no luck. Restarted many times.... anyone else had this problem?

Joe

Aren't fonts fun in OS X? :evil: Have you tried restarting the Mac after adding the Arial fonts into the font folder? You shouldn't have to but I've seen it work before.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe  on April 02, 2008, 09:08:48 AMAren't fonts fun in OS X? :evil: Have you tried restarting the Mac after adding the Arial fonts into the font folder? You shouldn't have to but I've seen it work before.

ditto.. just worked for me with a pesky font that wouldnt activate in FEX like two weeks ago..     then when done working just take font back out of System Fonts Folder..

edit.. nevermind, der.. just read it wont load on your PC, not a Mac..   der  ignore the board fluffer, Im headed back to the bar where I belong.//.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

pspdfppdfxhd

Joe

I'd still try a restart of the PC if you haven't yet.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yeah, I've restarted numberous, numerous times. Arial has given me about 300 gray hairs since I got into this racket. And counting.....

http://www.iliveonyourvisits.com/helvetica/

I even did a googe search on the meaning of the word "arial" and it seems microsoft created this word for this particular font, there's no other meaning for it.

pspdfppdfxhd

Joe

Can other applications see the Arial Bold font and use it. If not could it be a corrupted font file?

pspdfppdfxhd

thanks Joe, no, other applications are not picking up the font as well, I've tried installing, uninstalling many copies of the font with the same results. But that's an idea, i'll keep trying. When you double click on the font and it gives you a preview in the window, it appears everything is ok. One thing I did notice, however was that this font is dated 1992. Thats an old font I'd say. 16 years ago in the business is a very long time. Maybe I'll check the dates on other Arial bold "specimens" we have here. And Install one if it's newer.

Joe

Here is one from my XP machine dated 2004:

Arial Bold

almaink

If you have InDesign on that Feecee dump the PDF in it and refry it with embedded fonts selected.
Sometimes Pit Stop has a Senior Moment when it comes to fonts that are active,
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

pspdfppdfxhd

I'll try that but this particular client gives us 400-800 pages in a pdf with only some of the fonts embedded.

pspdfppdfxhd

Thanks for that font joe, but still no joy. Oh, and I made a mistake....other programs ARE seeing Arial Bold but I use the pc so infrequently i forgot to figure that out.

Joe

In that case I'd try to outline all fonts in the PDF with global change.

jimking

It may not see Arial bold in order to outline but it may. If you are using your font folder instead of a font utility program try downloading a free font utility program such as Linotype FontExplorer and try that. http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

There is a PC version.