Little pockets in brochures

Started by Zanomi, April 30, 2008, 05:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanomi

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, and I'm relatively new to the industry. I work in a small print shop in Canada- small enough that I take part in just about every aspect of production. I thought I'd introduce myself by asking a question about a problem we ran into last week.

We were printing tri-fold brochures, and the client wanted little pockets inside the brochures- just big enough to tuck in a business card. We couldn't figure out a quick and easy way to install the pockets. We ended up printing the pockets separately, and then, BY HAND, folding each one's little edges, using UHU stick glue on them, and carefully placing them in the corners of the brochures. There were 1000 of them and it took forever.

Does anyone know of a quicker, easier, and less expensive way to do this?

gnubler

Fun. That sounds familiar. I've spent enough hours in the Bindery torture chambers doing hand work like that. I assume the client didn't want diecut slits because it would show through on the other side of the panel. You could always just use a glue dot on the back of the business card and stick it wherever - I did a folder just like that recently, and the card is not hard to peel off, then just roll off the little glue dot.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

doubting_thomas

The way we'd do it may not be the way you (or your boss), would want to
hear, but it should be die-cut out of a press sheet taking the business card
pocket into account. If you don't do this in house (I'm guessing you don't) then
you'd want to contact a vendor that can do it for you. Once die cut out of the
press sheet, the piece would be converted (folding and gluing the flap for the pocket
into place). It may require that you have a custom die made for the project.

LoganBlade

ANother solution could be you use litho slit and perf. You could design a business card into the product and use a perf for the customer to pull off off the brochre. instead of a pocket you make a business card hand down from the center and use the litho slit and perf so it can be folded up into the brochre and using the perf torn off.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

jimking

I would go the route of doubting_thomas idea, however, if the pocket was created just for the business card only, no inserts etc. LoganBlade's idea seems the way to go.   

LoganBlade

I am only suggesting based on the small shop atmosphere I am getting. Those owners want cheap and something they could do themselves. It could still be done as a cheap pocket but the true best solution is doubting Thomas. Nothing like a good die and glued pocket.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

jimking

If it's just for a business card, ditch the pocket.

born2print

Another different idea is to do a diecut and an extra panel that folds and glues along the edge(s) to make 1 double-thick panel with the diecut slot in the face for the BC insertion.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Zanomi

Wow! That's a lot more replies than I expected, and lots of good ideas! Thanks for all your help, guys!

Unfortunately the pocket, while it was about the size of a business card, wasn't actually for a business card after all. That complicated things a bit. We didn't take into account the extra expense of having a vendor make a die for us when we gave the client the initial quote, and we had to eat our mistake by sitting at the bindery table for hours on end.

I really appreciate all your replies. I think I might end up hanging around here quite a bit! :)

gnubler

Quote from: Zanomi on May 02, 2008, 03:19:32 PMI think I might end up hanging around here quite a bit! :)

If you've ever experienced prepress rage, you'll fit right in. Welcome.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Quote from: gnubler on May 02, 2008, 03:29:16 PM
Quote from: Zanomi on May 02, 2008, 03:19:32 PMI think I might end up hanging around here quite a bit! :)

If you've ever experienced prepress rage, you'll fit right in. Welcome.

Gnub, yer nuts!  :cheesy:

Welcome Zanomi!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy