boot linux instantly from ROM!

Started by delooch, July 23, 2008, 09:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

this is a really cool development: linux installed on a bootable ROM chip on the mainboard: "instant on" - i wonder if it will be flashable with other distros, or if you're stuck with the ASUS distro.  This is nice for media centers and the impatient.

check it out: (warning: youll be visiting PC land!)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2325779,00.asp

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

delooch

Quote from: tapdn on July 23, 2008, 09:50:40 AMNice link, thanks.
lead to another good article... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2325778,00.asp

this is a great quote:

"With Windows 98 and then the blockbuster follow-up Windows 2000, the company was on a roll with stunning advancements. XP is just a pretty Windows 2000. Vista is essentially the old hooker with a bad facelift and too much makeup. She also can't remember her customers. "

no doubt MS is the lazy devil. their days are numbered though. unfortunately until the PC/MAC gaming scene changes, ill still be booting XP.

Joe

Quote from: delooch on July 23, 2008, 09:00:16 AMthis is a really cool development: linux installed on a bootable ROM chip on the mainboard: "instant on" - i wonder if it will be flashable with other distros, or if you're stuck with the ASUS distro.  This is nice for media centers and the impatient.

check it out: (warning: youll be visiting PC land!)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2325779,00.asp

That's very interesting...

On an unrelated note I like this at the bottom of the article:

QuoteIn a nutshell, Vista manages to be more complicated than XP, performs more poorly than XP, and is more expensive than XP. Everyone is shocked that it is not a big success.
:laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

delooch

vista is a serious piece of crap. i tried it for 2 days and went back to xp. my wife finally got rid of it last month. i dont know what the hell they were thinking.

tapdn

Quote from: delooch on July 23, 2008, 11:21:29 AMvista is a serious piece of crap. i tried it for 2 days and went back to xp. my wife finally got rid of it last month. i dont know what the hell they were thinking.

what they have always thought... make a poor attempt at copying what Apple is doing and pretend it is original!
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

gnubler

Quote from: delooch on July 23, 2008, 11:21:29 AMvista is a serious piece of crap. i tried it for 2 days and went back to xp. my wife finally got rid of it last month. i dont know what the hell they were thinking.

So I've heard. Just yesterday my coworker and I shuddered at the thought of "upgrading" our PCs to Vista. It's unlikely as I'm sure it would require a fuckload of other upgrades, which is totally unecessary because the tools we have work well for us. I hope to be one of the lucky ones who never gets the opportunity to use Vista, ever.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

agent_orange

Well... since this has turned into the "bash Vista" thread i think you're all nuts. Vista is great!

Actually, the boss' computer took a dump last month so he used his home computer, which has Vista on it, while waiting for the old computer to get fixed. After a couple weeks, we were begging for the old computer back. It was great, Vista would screw him, he'd turn to me to fix it, I'd stare at this lump of crap and say "I have no idea".

All we're waiting for is the new version of our estimating software and Bill Gates can come get his POS out of our parking lot. We'll finally be an all Mac shop and we're going Office Space on the old PC...

Joe

We have one PC with Vista and let me say I've been fighting a losing battle with it. It's not that old of a PC. It used to be our Nexus server, dual 2.4 ghz Xeon processors with 4 gb of ram. Takes 26 hours to copy a 100 mb Publisher file to the file server on a gigabit connection (gigabit connection on this PC runs okay if I boot it into Win 2000 server so it's definitely Vista and not the hardware). During an email support-a-thon I guess I insulted the Microsoft support person because they will no longer correspond with me. Then I read serice pack one will solve all of my problems. GREAT! Too bad it won't install. It tries to install and finally tells me it needs to restart the computer to finish the install. It reboots and does stage 1 of 3. Completes it then does stage 2 of 3. Completes it and then does stage 3 of 3. Gets all the way to stage 3 of 3 is 100% complete and then it sits there for awhile and then tells me it failed and it's reverting changes. Reverting change takes longer than doing the install in the first place. The whole thing takes about an hour and a half and I've tried it at least 25 times over the last few months. I'd contact MS support but they won't talk to me anymore. Tried every fix I've found online. No go.

But having said all that I hear there are people that got Vista with a NEW PC and they love it. Have never talked to one face to face but I've read about them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

PrepressCrapFixer

Quote from: Joe on July 24, 2008, 02:33:48 AMBut having said all that I hear there are people that got Vista with a NEW PC and they love it. Have never talked to one face to face but I've read about them.
I bet it's just an urban legend :wink:
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

agent_orange

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on July 24, 2008, 07:05:07 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 24, 2008, 02:33:48 AMBut having said all that I hear there are people that got Vista with a NEW PC and they love it. Have never talked to one face to face but I've read about them.
I bet it's just an urban legend :wink:

I bet Chupacabra has a pc with Vista and just loves it. Wonder if we'll start seeing really grainy photos that purport to be evidence of someone using Vista and loving it?