News:

Main Menu

Opaque White

Started by beck, January 08, 2009, 07:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beck

Good morning all,We have a new job, printing on foil board. We've printed on foil before, but have never run a proof thru Nexus/ArtPro using Opaque White.My question is, do we create the color as 0C 0M 0Y 0K ? Do we create it as a color you can see?Last time we did this, it was before we had Nexus. We created 2 proofs...one showing all colors except Opaque White, and one proof showing the White as another color.When it comes to the .LNK file, how would we create (and trap) the Opaque White?Thanks in advance,beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

DigitalCrapShoveler

For proofing, I make the white cyan so I can see it. I place it on top of everything and overprint it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Headache

We do lots of foil and we do pretty much what DigitalCrapShoveler does.  We've entered Opaque White into our BestColor Rip as a cyan screen and proof it as overprinting.  
For liability you might want to also send a press ready pdf so that you can always say, "...well our pdf clearly shows the separations."

DigitalCrapShoveler

Talk about coincidence. Walked in the door... box job... printing over opaque white. Hahahahaahha. First job of the day.
Member #285 - Civilian

beck

All I do are box jobs.It looks like we'll be submitting 2 proofs - 1 normal, 1 showing the White.We still want to get the file thru Nexus in 1 pass for trapping purposes.  I'm pushing to run 2 files (1 for the 4/C & Spot, and 1 for the White) but some here think it will be too overwhelming for our platemaker to figure out the details.  They're probably right!beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

G_Town

We run whites all the time but I'm guessing you are talking thru and ink jet for your proof?

We have actual white material in our fuji so we can show a pretty good proof on the actual board.

On the times I have used an epson I would just print out the normal inks then output film overlays showing the white. (we have clear paper for our epson).

As far as processing the job thru nexus yes you want an actual ink defined. I usually grap a PMS color in the light blue range and rename it WHITE or some such and then trap it accordingly to the other colors. Just treat it as another color and you should be good.

Zimmy3

We usually use 20%Cyan to represent White.(on screen/PDF etc.)If their are 2 Whites then we go to 20%Mag for the 2nd White
Because it feels good !