What's a good digital camera

Started by kermit, October 04, 2007, 06:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

I am talking about camera that cost less than 1K in american money...
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

David

I have an Olympus digital 4MP with an 8x zoom that works like a champ, has good color and didn't break the bank.

I did get a larger memory card, some rechargeable batteries (with a charger), a carrying case which added to the bottom line, but still a good deal and I've been using it for a couple of years now and it still works great.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

the fuji S5 pro is good - dunno how much it costs tho
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Chilbear

I have a Canon XT. Lots of them and the XTi available under a G note. I paid about $500 then added a lens. Heard good things about Nikon but my ONLY Nikon failed 4 months out of a 1 year warranty and they basically said "Sorry". Returned to Canon.

Ear

I have a Kodak 6 .1 MP with a 10x optical zoom. It's a great camera. The only problem with digital cameras that are under $1000 is the speed. If you're looking for a pro camera you need digital SLR, but it'll be over $1000.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

MonkeyBoy

Got a Nikon Coolpix 7900. 7.1 megpixel. Great series of cameras and get them for $400 usually.
SLR is going to be my next camera and there are decent SLR bodies for under $1k but it's the lenses and such that will bring you well over $1k.

gnubler

I have a Canon PowerShot S1 IS with 10x optical zoom, 3.2mgpx. I believe I paid $400 for it in late 2004. Like David, I had to buy extras like a memory card (1GB $40) and four more AA rechargable batteries (already have a charger), and a case (which I found at a sports store for 7 bux and it fits perfectly. I've been happy with the camera; it has a variety of settings and even lets you manually set aperture/shutter speed. I usually keep it on the auto setting since all I really use it for are crotch shots and face pics (kidding). It also has a video feature, and I can film video up to the capacity of my memory card. I've only tried that once, so I can't really comment on it, but I bet the features are limited.

Shortly after I bought it my friend broke the pop-up flash by stupidly bypassing the button and prying it open with his fingernail instead, ending its ability to pop-up. Luckily, the damage appeared to be a defective button or spring, so I sent it back to Canon and they fixed it no questions asked. Thanks Canon!

Like with many lower-end digicams, I don't like the capture delay. Difficult to capture fast moving objects or people.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

I agree on the capture delay thing, gut I've found that getting a high end video card will speed up the saving rate and let you shoot quicker.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

The Stevinator

generally in my opinion.  anything made by Nikon.  I have a n80 slr, and a d50 dslr and they are amazing products.
SJM

G_Town

Canon Powershot 7.1 MP has been a really great camera for me.

It's been to the waterpark on roller coasters (in action) and still works great and has nice color.

jezza

So I can always have a camera with me I'm considering a Canon Ixus 75 at the moment, 3x optical zoom, 7 mega pixels - less than £200. If I could afford a digital SLR it would be a canon also, we have one at work, can't remember which but it's a honey
one sick prepress mofo

prepressDog

We call that sexy in the US or Rad, sweet, bitchin, etc.
Honey is for the wives....

whoami

papa v2.0

nikon d80 is a good buy, ive got the d70 (£425) which the D 80 replaces  and its realy good for a mid range SLR

dont know how much though in the states

or if its too much  the D50 (replaces the D40)

also what do you want from your camera,

a small point and shoot that will fit in your pocket to use for 'snaps' etc  or a SLR

do you want RAW out put?

good deals on ebay

mwc

canon A630 - 8 mp - under $200 US....and there is the A640 with 10 mp for about $100 more.

not small...but not bad either.