Which Imposition Software should we buy?

Started by james, February 07, 2011, 07:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: mattbeals on February 07, 2011, 01:10:14 PMThanks!

Being a bit tongue in cheek there, Matt.   :cheesy:     Besides, it's Aussie. My dongle drives on the other side of the road. Prolly crash.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Rabid

I think Preps Plus is cheaper than 3000K a copy. It's Preps Pro that is the more expensive version.
We use Preps all the time for simple variable jobs. We send down a background form for the shell
and impose the variable as a cut and stack. Works fine. Not sure how well it would work with really
huge jobs, most of ours are less than 10,000.

DCurry

Quote from: Rabid on February 07, 2011, 03:55:26 PMI think Preps Plus is cheaper than 3000K a copy. It's Preps Pro that is the more expensive version.

While you are correct that Pro is the more expensive version, 3k sounds about right for Plus based on what I remember when we bought it years ago.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on February 07, 2011, 04:00:17 PM
Quote from: Rabid on February 07, 2011, 03:55:26 PMI think Preps Plus is cheaper than 3000K a copy. It's Preps Pro that is the more expensive version.

While you are correct that Pro is the more expensive version, 3k sounds about right for Plus based on what I remember when we bought it years ago.

You might be right because now that I think about it, I think the Pro version was more like $5K.

Also if you get into Preps 6 I don't think there is a Pro and a Plus version.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on February 07, 2011, 04:10:03 PMAlso if you get into Preps 6 I don't think there is a Pro and a Plus version.

There is, and it's annoying because Pro has features I want, but we only have 1 pro license so I have to do everything in plus so that another operator could work on it if I die.

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

james

Thanks for all the feed back.

When I said complicated I think I have been a bit vague.
We do quite a bit of Bi-lingual work where Welsh is rotated 180 to the English so at the center spread they meet.
So it goes Page 1 - 16 and then 16 - 1

Any decent Imposition software should be able to rotate pages as I want then

Also the variable data could be done on an older version of Yours Truly Design through Quark 6.

Also I would like the company to start using Indesign as from what I read and have been told about more and more people are using it in their favour. I can only see Quark going one way over the next 5 years.

gnubler

Quote from: james on February 08, 2011, 02:42:35 AMI can only see Quark going one way over the next 5 years.

We have already seen quark going one way over the past 5 years.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: james on February 08, 2011, 02:42:35 AMThanks for all the feed back.

When I said complicated I think I have been a bit vague.
We do quite a bit of Bi-lingual work where Welsh is rotated 180 to the English so at the center spread they meet.
So it goes Page 1 - 16 and then 16 - 1

We used to call those "coming and going" books - anyone else have a good name for that small nightmare?
vdp donkey

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 10, 2011, 06:06:44 PMWe call it a flipflop booklet.

Which is probably what you're doing on the floor, waving you arms about, if one goes pear-shaped.   :undecided:    I don't like the sound of them. Is that what come-and-go in Dynastrip was? Maybe not.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on February 10, 2011, 06:06:44 PMWe call it a flipflop booklet.

Not safe to wear flip flops in the shop, could hurt yourself :)
vdp donkey

Amir

HP SmartStream Designer for InDesign CS5 have more imposition features than the Designer for QuarkXPress 8.

For imposition only, you may use HP SmartStream Designer at no charge.
A SW license is required for creation of variable data jobs.