Main Menu

Rampage Workflow

Started by Tracy, August 29, 2011, 04:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Thanks man!
I'll be back! :laugh:

almaink

Tracy, The new Rampage boxes can run as both a server and a rip. I just got the latest version and the new box does both. You may need another PC to work as a shooter tho but I'm pretty sure any standard PC can be used for that purpose. I know one thing going from version 10.6 to version 12.1 was like trading in a 1950 get out and push, for a 2012 Rolls Royce. It's fast, has tons of new preflight options and even fixes nasty Publisher and Word files on the fly.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Stiv

I'm so glad I don't have to mess with the RIPS anymore. In all of the other shops I have worked at I've had to keep the network, computers and RIPs up and running. We have two guys here full-time that keep the shop humming along.

DigiCorn

Quote from: almaink on October 28, 2011, 07:27:12 AMTracy, The new Rampage boxes can run as both a server and a rip. I just got the latest version and the new box does both. You may need another PC to work as a shooter tho but I'm pretty sure any standard PC can be used for that purpose. I know one thing going from version 10.6 to version 12.1 was like trading in a 1950 get out and push, for a 2012 Rolls Royce. It's fast, has tons of new preflight options and even fixes nasty Publisher and Word files on the fly.
That IS possible, but unless something has changed, or unless you're buying from a 3rd party, Rampage has always traditionally frowned on having server files reside on the same box as the RIP. We went through HELL trying to make this happen at my old shop, and Rampage was not very accommodating. We ended up going through a third party, who promptly disappeared and didn't honor our service contract. Eventually Rampage relented and we got a year of support, but acted like it was a friggin' special favor.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

almaink

It's changed because I'm doing it. The new Rampage box is running Windows 7 and also working as the server. The new boxes also have a raid set up and a third drive to run the system. I asked about a separate server box, because I had one already, and was told it's no longer needed.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Tracy

Just saw your post today Alma! thanks!
I just got this info from Rampage too.

I'm still trying to see if the imagesetter is going to work
I created a hotfolder on the printconsole and it would not accept the 1-bit tif
unless I did something wrong.

anyone out there go from kodak to rampage with the existing imagesetter?

Tracy

Digi- they don't give you updates?

DigiCorn

Once your support runs out, no more updates. They had an update like a week after our package expired here and they wouldn't give it to us.

You should be able to run to your existing imagesetter using Rampage, but you have to prep Rampage first. I recently had to rebuild the hard drive on my Rampage box, and I made a step-by-step reminder file so if it happened again, or if I try to build my own server I know what to do without calling support. Replace the name of your imagesetter, proofer hot folders (EFI/GMG or whatever) and server/volumes from the ones you see in this file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xslv0m
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Thanks Digi
Ill check it out
prolly above my skill level tho

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

almaink

Did you change the device setting for the imagesetter? Most times you need a different PCI card in the shooter for different devices as well Tracy.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Tracy

Well we havn't gotten the Rampage yet, So I will have to wait and see still.
Thanks for your input-I will keep you posted
I'll know my boss is serious when he gets the new Mac, that's my first step