News:

Main Menu

Die/cutter PDF

Started by frailer, October 07, 2011, 04:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We get a few of these, label/stickers with Spot cutter image overlay. But need to use imposed PDF for sending out to finishers.
Currently am deleting all image other than the Spot cutter image, which can be tedious.
Is there a way in PSP to select/move the Spot to another layer, and somehow delete the rest in one or 2 moves? In the past I think I've Separated colours, but that feels old hat now.

Damn... why didn't I think of it. Coulda Placed in Indy, maybe turned off colours in Ink Manager? At home so can't test. I may be dreamin'    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

You can probably create an action but I would need a file to test it on.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

You say you have to send out imposed PDF? Can't you just add an Export PDF stage in your job flow in XMF and tell it to send a spot-only sep PDF to a hot folder? That way you don't have to mess with it at all, let the workflow do the work.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

We export Imposed die files from our Esko system as a PDF. Just select the die color sep and export. I then have to open the PDF in Illy because the die people here can't use any thing newer than Illustrator 10.
I save it out as an V10 .eps to email out from there.
Don't need to do any edits to it, but I do outline any fonts that may be there (job id, etc, no critical text).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

HTH, we make an imposed PDF from Prinergy of just the DIE separation. With some of our vendors, that's it.

Vendors with older CAD software however, we have to open the PDF in Illy and carefully delete 1-2 million unwanted elements then save as v8 .ai - if we don't delete the elements (even though they're color is None) the .ai file grows in MB exponentially, prolly due to image data in the file that gets un-portablized.

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

G_Town

Quote from: born2print on October 07, 2011, 11:32:42 AMHTH, we make an imposed PDF from Prinergy of just the DIE separation. With some of our vendors, that's it.

Vendors with older CAD software however, we have to open the PDF in Illy and carefully delete 1-2 million unwanted elements then save as v8 .ai - if we don't delete the elements (even though they're color is None) the .ai file grows in MB exponentially, prolly due to image data in the file that gets un-portablized.

We send PDF with the die line and embossing or stamping, we make our own dies in house.

frailer

Quote from: Earendil on October 07, 2011, 10:31:59 AMYou say you have to send out imposed PDF? Can't you just add an Export PDF stage in your job flow in XMF and tell it to send a spot-only sep PDF to a hot folder? That way you don't have to mess with it at all, let the workflow do the work.
Well, if it's there, I certainly haven't been told, and I've not done the trawling to find it in Help. But if you can do it, no reason I can't. Shall be looking Monday, and emailing local Fuji guy. Been led to believe so far you can Export a PDF, but not individual seps.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

t-pat

lately I've been exporting the die as a separate pdf, I always put them on a separate layer, impose that same as the art, remove all the marks and print out of prinergy to pdf. Seems to cut down on the complaints from the converters about extra things in the file.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

born2print

Quote from: t-pat on October 07, 2011, 01:37:33 PMlately I've been exporting the die as a separate pdf, I always put them on a separate layer, impose that same as the art, remove all the marks and print out of prinergy to pdf. Seems to cut down on the complaints from the converters about extra things in the file.
That is a benefit, the only problem is the separate refined data and impo makes it hard to prove position / fit... ooooh, I bet you can make a VPS of the 4/c and a VPS of the die and open the 5 VPS files together to prove position?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Farabomb

Quote from: born2print on October 07, 2011, 01:45:36 PM
Quote from: t-pat on October 07, 2011, 01:37:33 PMlately I've been exporting the die as a separate pdf, I always put them on a separate layer, impose that same as the art, remove all the marks and print out of prinergy to pdf. Seems to cut down on the complaints from the converters about extra things in the file.
That is a benefit, the only problem is the separate refined data and impo makes it hard to prove position / fit... ooooh, I bet you can make a VPS of the 4/c and a VPS of the die and open the 5 VPS files together to prove position?

Yup, do it all the time here for dies and spot varns.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

I do one file with the everything (art, die, etcetera) with the die color set up in prinergy as dieline so it overprints, for proofing/checking and a separate die only pdf for the diecutters.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

That's what I do in Rampage
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Anyone know the answer to my earlier pondering... Could I Place that (supplied, with cutter-lin in place, to me), in Indy, turn off process cols in Ink Mgr., then Export with Spot only? Or am I dreamin'? At home... can't test.

t-pat

Frailer, no. Can't alias process to anything or turn them off in Ink Manager. You may export to something as seps I guess... Simpler to do it like corn and I do, really.

OR if you're determined to leave the die alone in the photoshop file (why it's in photoshop I won't even ask, or maybe I'm not even reading it right, lol) you can turn off the other layers in the photoshop file in Indesign under Object Layer Options - may be a good workaround for you.
vdp donkey

David

Frailer, if the die lines are in a spot color, yes, you can print seps from Indesign, but if exporting to another PDF, it will not do seps.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca