News:

Main Menu

Die/cutter PDF

Started by frailer, October 07, 2011, 04:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

:lmao:

Joe's EAL takes, roughly, 3.7847 seconds. And leaves trims in.   
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mattbeals

Mine takes a second or two too and makes the stroke overprint in addition to being on a new layer.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Cheers Matt. At home right now, but testing tomorrow. Looks like a Big Iron on each hip.    :cool:

Have hardly investigated layers in PDFs; how to check, see them, use them etc...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 09, 2011, 11:29:37 PM:lmao:

Joe's EAL takes, roughly, 3.7847 seconds. And leaves trims in.

I wasn't sure about the trims. The file I tested it with didn't have any trim marks.

The action list I posted works in Pitstop 7 through 10. I tried Matts on 7 but it tells me it was created with a more recent version and can't run so it appears you need Pitstop 10 to run it. I will take a look at it from work when I get back there.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Quote from: mattbeals on October 10, 2011, 12:09:41 AMMine takes a second or two too and makes the stroke overprint in addition to being on a new layer.

Works like a champ In Acro x with PSP X u2.
Didn't notice the "assign to layer" in the list when I was trying it the other day.
Thanks Matt!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: mattbeals on October 10, 2011, 12:09:41 AMMine takes a second or two too and makes the stroke overprint in addition to being on a new layer.

unnecessary with Prinergy, if you have the color name set up to set the opacity as "Dieline" but won't hurt.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

frailer

We need to huddle on Layers in PDFs, and what you can and can't do in PitStop.    :group:

mattbeals

Not a lot. More so in callas pdfToolbox. But both can do it.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

jack

Quote from: t-pat on October 10, 2011, 10:17:27 AM

unnecessary with Prinergy, if you have the color name set up to set the opacity as "Dieline" but won't hurt.

We create our dieline pdf's through Prinergy, but it always leaves a heap of hidden residual info, that bulks up the file, & when opened on a pc, you can see the residual art. So we have to still open them in Illy, select dieline, copy to a new layer, and delete the original layer  :sad:

mattbeals

Well, Joe's action will work then. Or, depending on how things are set up you can use my action and turn off the base layer. Then hopefully the RIP is smart enough to ignore hidden layers. Same thing with the dieline, turn it off and RIP away. Just don't open in Illustrator. It's a clusterfuck...
Matt Beals

Farabomb

Hell, I'm just happy when I get a file with a die and it's actually a spot color.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: jack on October 11, 2011, 01:34:59 AM
Quote from: t-pat on October 10, 2011, 10:17:27 AM

We create our dieline pdf's through Prinergy, but it always leaves a heap of hidden residual info, that bulks up the file, & when opened on a pc, you can see the residual art. So we have to still open them in Illy, select dieline, copy to a new layer, and delete the original layer  :sad:

I don't create it through prinergy, I have the color "Die" in the color library, set as opacity "Dieline" - very much a different animal.

Not to oversimplify things but what's so wrong with extracting (and potentially cleaning up) the die using Illustrator? Been doing it this way for years, trouble free. Nice to be able to make EALs and all this stuff but really, when the rubber hits the road I want the die as a separate element, especially if I don't have native artwork.

Again, I just rip the die out and save it as an Illustrator file, placed on a top layer in an indesign file with whatever crap the client supplied underneath it, as untouched as possible. Selecting and coloring their supplied die in their original supplied pdf to no stroke or fill with pitstop after placing my die on top of it and lining stuff up. Then give the converter the clean, separate dieline in whatever format they want. Also infinitely handy when said client says they want to print something else with that dieline.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

mattbeals

Sounds like a lot of extra work for something that is relatively straight forward. Especially when you can have the art and dieline in one PDF where you can turn on and off the layers in InDesign/Acrobat be sure that the art and die are always aligned. But hey, it's your time not mine.
Matt Beals

Farabomb

Wish I could do that but a lot of my die guys either don't have the proper software or are just clueless.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I've got die people here that have no software other than an old version of Adobe Reader. They are a pain to deal with.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca