Web Hosting

Started by Joe, January 30, 2012, 04:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Prolly has a QR code tat on his teabag.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

boosted29

Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

gnubler

More like a 404 error

"Page not found" :laugh:

Brain not found.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on February 03, 2012, 04:40:40 PMMore like a 404 error

"Page not found" :laugh:

Brain not found.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

StrutzinInc

I primarily use Godaddy, but that's basically because it came with the domain name and I've been too lazy to switch. How difficult is it to switch hosting and how much cheaper is it?

Also what are the benefits to switching? I know as a techie I should know these things, but web hosting isn't an area that I'm overly familiar with.

Any help would be appreciated!

Joe

Quote from: StrutzinInc on July 14, 2012, 01:08:16 PMI primarily use Godaddy, but that's basically because it came with the domain name and I've been too lazy to switch. How difficult is it to switch hosting and how much cheaper is it?

Also what are the benefits to switching? I know as a techie I should know these things, but web hosting isn't an area that I'm overly familiar with.

Any help would be appreciated!

If you start getting some traffic to your site GoDaddy will throttle it back or suspend it without warning.

If I remember the pricing, GoDaddy was $4.95 a month when I used it and Hostgator was $2.96 a month when I started there. And GoDaddy uses some proprietary piece of crap hosting panel while Hostgator uses the industry standard CPanel. YMMV...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Ditto. I have recommended HostGator to several people in recent months.

If you get a customer that "helps you" by purchasing a hosting account with GoDaddy, fire them.

Joe

Or at least charge extra! (quadruple would be the place to start) :laugh:

gnubler

Joe already knows about my ex-customer who "helped" me by purchasing some EZ Web Deziner by Broderbund so he would be able to update the site himself. I told him he couldn't have possibly made things more difficult for both of us and I built his site using WordPress.  :laugh:

Joe

I was asked to re-do a site that was originally done with this: http://www.serif.com/webplus/

I got it done but it was like trying to skin a skunk alive without getting all stinky.

gnubler

I'm afraid to click but I'm sure it's as stellar as this program from my customer. Initially I actually installed it on one of our PCs to assure myself it was shit. It generated such a bunch of garbage I just laughed.

David

Quote from: Joe on July 16, 2012, 02:23:52 PMI was asked to re-do a site that was originally done with this: http://www.serif.com/webplus/

I got it done but it was like trying to skin a skunk alive without getting all stinky.

here, this says it all, got it from Joe's link:
QuoteYour visitors will never know if you're a total beginner.
:death:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca