Feedback on colour management in PitStop Pro/Server

Started by abc, February 23, 2012, 06:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interested in your feedback on if you use the colour management in PitStop Pro/Server for colour conversion of PDF files

Yes, all the time
Yes, in some circumstances
No, because we find it difficult to use
No, because we don't like the results
No, because it lacks functionality we need
No, because we use another product

Farabomb

I have my profiles set as well but even then some things that Prinergy will flag pitstop won't. No matter, I use both and can normally translate what they are saying.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: abc on February 23, 2012, 12:48:17 PMThat's interesting feedback Joe
This might be a stupid question but why don't you create your own preflight profile specific for what you want to check or even fix?
That way you only see what you want to see and you can automatically fix the mundane day-to-day stuff that you always get?

Yes, I could do that and we have but within Prinergy preflight which is almost exactly the same as Acrobat/Pitstop preflight. By doing it in Prinergy the preflight is available for our customers to see if they need to and see exactly what is wrong with their files. Just an example of our workflow...customers upload their files directly into Prinergy and the files go through the refine process which includes preflight and color management so by the time the prepress operator sees the PDF, it has already been preflighted and color managed.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

That makes sense, i guess you have insite or similar sitting in front of it, sounds like a nice solution.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Fujifilm XMF is set to take care of most CM, on-the-fly, including RGB and Spot conversions. We are now using Fujifilm Enhanced Colour as well, which should make it a little more refined again. Few problems experienced.
Having said that, it's possible I'm under-utilising these new features, meaning I don't have a proper handle on them to use effectively. A custom pre-flight's worth a look, and has crossed my mind.
We only brought digital in-house about 6 years ago, so quite a steep hill. Further investigation, I think, to see if there's stuff I could be using.

A lot of stuff is 'background' in today's workflows, I guess. Here's the Readers' Digest on XMF's CM.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

abc

Is anybody using Devicelink profiles in their workflow?

This is also an interesting topic as there are real benefits in their use for CMYK-CMYK conversion with the preservation of primary and secondary colours.

These are supported by Pitstop by only by and action list, they are not in the standard colour settings.

They work really well for reducing ink coverage, standardising separations and can of course be used for ink saving as well.

David

We did at one point, but it was hard to get them to work correctly. I really like the idea of a device link profile, it adds a little more editablity to the straight .icc to .icc profile conversion.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

abc

That's interesting, did you get to the root of the problem or just stop using them?

David

We just quit using them since the software we were using wasn't very easy to use and it just didn't fit into the workflow.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

abc

Hmm, 312 reads, but only 13 votes
Come on people don't be shy.

mattbeals

Sweet Jesus are yours just now getting around to having this conversation? I've been giving feedback since about 1998... I've dedicated a substantial amount of time and resources explains to people how color management works (or doesn't) in Enfocus products.

Dare I say it again? Call me some time, I can't seem to get call backs from you guys.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

abc

HI Matt
I'm the new guy, at least that's my excuse  :-)

I send you a mail and continue the discussion off forum

abc

Wow, 482 views but only 26 votes?

Not like prepress guys to be short of an opinion   :rolleyes:

any more?

DigiCorn

You'd have to ask Joe, but those may not be unique views.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

That's what I was thinking as well.

I cast my vote.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job