News:

Main Menu

Merge CMY into K

Started by DCurry, September 05, 2012, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Does anyone know of a way in Nexus to merge the CMY plates into the K plate?

My scenario involves a PDF with some CMY gray matter that really needs to print on the K plate, and for some reason nothing I do in Pitstop will change this stuff, even converting the entire page to gray. Very weird.

My workflow involves sending JDF from Preps. I was hopeful I could alias the inks printing from Preps, but apparently you can't do that with process inks into other process inks.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Pitstop V. 10 update 3 should be able to remap the separations to the black.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Making them grayscale in Pitstop doesn't work, Dan? That is odd. Are you changing the output intent?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 05, 2012, 03:30:29 PMMaking them grayscale in Pitstop doesn't work, Dan? That is odd. Are you changing the output intent?

I run across PDFs like this every now and then that no matter what you do they still display in all colors but when I output they only come out in the black. I think it is an Acrobat issue.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Quote from: DCurry on September 05, 2012, 03:21:43 PMDoes anyone know of a way in Nexus to merge the CMY plates into the K plate?

My scenario involves a PDF with some CMY gray matter that really needs to print on the K plate, and for some reason nothing I do in Pitstop will change this stuff, even converting the entire page to gray. Very weird.

My workflow involves sending JDF from Preps. I was hopeful I could alias the inks printing from Preps, but apparently you can't do that with process inks into other process inks.
If you are outputting 1 bits from nexus, you could merge them all into the K tiff using DotSpy.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DCurry

No, Pitstop doesn't do the trick no matter what I try. It's not version 10 - probably 8 or 9. Not only does it display wrong, but it rips wrong, too. I'm making sure to strip out all ICC profiles, too, as that can cause weirdness sometimes.

The Dotspy trick is a good idea - can you point me in the right direction? I've only used it to look at the ripped files, not actually edit them.

I'm shocked that there's not a way to tell Nexus to do this in the first place - even really old rips like PS/M could do it easily.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

andyfest

I'll check into it in the am Dan. I believe you put a dupe of all of the applicable tiffs into one folder, drop into DotSpy and under one of the menus (Edit?), there is an option to merge the tiffs into one. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow.

DigiCorn

Quote from: DCurry on September 05, 2012, 03:21:43 PMDoes anyone know of a way in Nexus to merge the CMY plates into the K plate?

Don't know Nexus, but Rampage has a "Multi-Burn" option that lets you do this. You'd have to create a phone K sep on the CMY portion to get it to work right - it won't merge on a sep that doesn't exist.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

FWIW, which may be nothing, I always use Preflight>Fixups>Convert to Gray in Acrobat. Seems to work when PitStop and other tricks fail. Maybe do a bespoke Optimise reSave beforehand.    :undecided:  Could shake some stuff out that's tripping it up.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Greg_Firestone

Hey Dan,

Would you be able to post the file or a sample? I'd like to see if my software can fix it.

Greg

Lammy

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 05, 2012, 06:03:01 PMDon't know Nexus, but Rampage has a "Multi-Burn" option that lets you do this. You'd have to create a phone K sep on the CMY portion to get it to work right - it won't merge on a sep that doesn't exist.

The better way in Rampage is just to use a profile that is set to grayscale for the color space. I forget exactly where you set this up since it's been quite a while since I've been in front of a Rampage system.

Either way, doesn't do the guy any good if he's running Nexus now does it.  :undecided:
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

DigiCorn

Quote from: Lammy on September 06, 2012, 11:11:43 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on September 05, 2012, 06:03:01 PMDon't know Nexus, but Rampage has a "Multi-Burn" option that lets you do this. You'd have to create a phone K sep on the CMY portion to get it to work right - it won't merge on a sep that doesn't exist.

The better way in Rampage is just to use a profile that is set to grayscale for the color space. I forget exactly where you set this up since it's been quite a while since I've been in front of a Rampage system.

Either way, doesn't do the guy any good if he's running Nexus now does it.  :undecided:
I misread your issue. I thought it was a 4-color job. Yes, in the OUTPUT tab of Rampage, you can convert all to grayscale. I have a special queue dedicated to it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

Quote from: DCurry on September 05, 2012, 05:33:37 PMNo, Pitstop doesn't do the trick no matter what I try. It's not version 10 - probably 8 or 9. Not only does it display wrong, but it rips wrong, too. I'm making sure to strip out all ICC profiles, too, as that can cause weirdness sometimes.

The Dotspy trick is a good idea - can you point me in the right direction? I've only used it to look at the ripped files, not actually edit them.

I'm shocked that there's not a way to tell Nexus to do this in the first place - even really old rips like PS/M could do it easily.
Sorry Dan - forgot to check - way too busy this week. I'll leave a note for myself for Monday. Must be getting old...  :old:

DCurry

That's okay - I haven't had a chance to get back to this job anyway.

My boss said that there is a way to merge the channels in the Nexus rip, but she doesn't like to do that because she wants the file to be right so if we have to re-process it sometime it will be correct. I agree with this only partially - in my mind, if you set up a good workflow to convert and/or merge crap like this, you just always use it and save yourself some headaches. Especially considering this is a book printer and deal with high page counts and it gets pretty tedious checking stuff out with Pitstop.

Greg - as soon as I get back to the job I'll try to get you a page of it to mess with.

abc

Hi Dan
Can you post or send me the file, would like to take a look in Pitstop, which functionality did you try it with and what version do you have?