Adobe excitement – Not

Started by Possum, January 08, 2013, 08:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

There was a rumor going around yesterday that Adobe was giving away downloads of CS2. One site I know of posted links to the download. It didn't work. Later on, a new story came out that what had happened was that Adobe had taken the limitations off the downloads for CS2 for anybody who already has a license.

Of course, I tried it. Thing is, if Adobe got lots of hits off this, you'd think they would get a clue that there is still a demand for their old software for people who can't afford the new stuff or for computers too old to use it. CS2 is four versions back, it wouldn't hurt for them to sell it at a reduced price. If your computer could run CS6, it couldn't run CS2 very well, so you know you're not losing sales of CS6 or Cloud subscriptions to people buying CS2.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

almaink

This was a godsend for me. I have CS2 but the Tropical storm 2 years ago wiped out all my Macs and along with them the hard drives. Even tho I had backups of everything I couldn't reactivate the CS2 apps because 1. I couldn't deactivate because the Macs were toast. 2. Adobe said they were to old and they wouldn't deactivate for me because they didn't support CS2 anymore. I was able to do CS3-4 without issues so I moved on. This download tho had a different serial so I figured WTF may as well try it. Well the install disks were a mess, as they stand you can only install Photoshop and Imageready. I turned on hidden items using Tinker tool and found the individual installs for Indesign and Illustrator and used them to do those installs then used the CS suite to install the rest (Photoshop, Imageready, ect.) Everything works fine with the exception of I can't update any of the software. I;m guessing that because Adobe doesn't support CS2 anymore? Good news is I can now go back to my old PDF FPO workflow in Indesign that Adobe broke ( and won't admit to) with the CS3 release.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

I hope my customers don't hear of this. They will be downgrading if it is free. :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Possum on January 08, 2013, 08:37:06 AMyou'd think they would get a clue that there is still a demand for their old software for people who can't afford the new stuff or for computers too old to use it. CS2 is four versions back, it wouldn't hurt for them to sell it at a reduced price.

Asking Adobe to think benignly and rationally towards their customers?   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Here is the download page (Serial numbers included) if anyone is interested:

CS2 downloads

delooch

whats the licensing rules on this software? cs2 is old, but i see theres a download for acrobat 8 pro - i got some machines using cuteFTP for pdf output, no money for an acrobat license.. this could be helpful!

Joe

I'm still not clear on the licensing but...

QuoteUPDATE, 2:40 p.m. PT: There has been clarification since this story broke. Adobe has not released the CS2 software for free. Instead, it has cancelled its CS2 license management servers, so for those with existing licenses it is now offering downloads that do not require contact with the licensing servers. This service is only going to be available for those with existing Adobe CS2 licenses, which will be verified when creating the Adobe account to download the software.

Adobe releases Creative Suite 2 for free

gnubler

I read that article earlier. So are those download links good/free or not? I guess I'll click and see what happens.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on January 09, 2013, 12:41:18 AMI read that article earlier. So are those download links good/free or not? I guess I'll click and see what happens.

Let us know if you survive. :laugh:

almaink

Basically if you already own CS2 or any of the CS applications you can go and download these versions and serials so you can install CS2 on virtual machines on the newer OS's. If you tried to install CS2 from disks it won't install in Lion or Mountain Lion because of File Vault. With this release there is no activation or so they say. I did the install and not only activated but got confirmation from Adobe that I had registered so I wonder if once again Adobe is full of it and just coving their asses or not. Either way I won, so I'm happy.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on January 09, 2013, 01:34:55 AM
Quote from: gnubler on January 09, 2013, 12:41:18 AMI read that article earlier. So are those download links good/free or not? I guess I'll click and see what happens.

Let us know if you survive. :laugh:

I clicked a bunch of stuff and then went to bed.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Why Adobe (and other vendors) should give away older software

QuoteThen it turned out that, no, the software wasn't free; Adobe's Don Isaacs wrote that the company
was merely "terminating the activation servers for CS2," and that the download page was only for
those who already owned licenses for the product.

Ah, but it was too late: the story had gone viral (big time), and it appears Adobe has decided
not to try stuffing the genie back into the bottle. As of now, you can download the whole of
CS2 (for Windows or Mac) or individual components (like, say, Photoshop) free of charge, and
unlock them using the serial numbers provided right on Adobe's download page

delooch

i installed Acro 8 pro on 3 machines without issue, using the supplied lilcenses.

Joe

Quote from: delooch on January 14, 2013, 12:45:46 PMi installed Acro 8 pro on 3 machines without issue, using the supplied lilcenses.

WIN! WIN!

WIN! :laugh:

gnubler

I never even looked at my downloads. So they work?