PackEdge/Automation Engine and Mavericks

Started by beermonster, November 10, 2013, 06:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

well we never got the memo that esko wont be supporting mavericks until january

so here's a warning to anyone who uses the pack edge products

do not - lemme do that again - DO NOT install mavericks (unless you have a time machine back up because you will need it!!!)

I was told to install mavericks last week. big big BIG mistake.

the studio "manager" (yeahhh right) didnt tell repro or forward us the email telling us not to go to mavericks. my direct line manager told me it was fine and to do it - so sceptically i did

i wish i didnt. i really really wish i didnt  :banghead:

no time machine back up (they dont use it which is nuts)

plug ins wouldn't load and then the living hell began

had to wipe hard drive and clean install snow leopard, and do the long upgrades back to mountain lion, install Adobe CC and install loads of other stuff

and to cap it all off esko struggled on another machine to re-install the plug ins via licence manager etc - and left ME to do my own

oh - and a co worked who's been there a while just moaned and whined so i ended up doing his workstaton too

:drunk3:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

beermonster

ohhh i forgot to mention the I.T. guy

"i'm not good on macs" he said.....

"OH - well that makes it ok" i said....."thanks for your help......"

Joe

Sounds like the beer could use a beer. Bottoms up! :drunk:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Further to that, we received an email from Esko support last week telling us not to install Mavericks as it is not compatible with Nexus. I'll post the email contents when I am back at work on Tuesday.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

beermonster

glad you got an email before doing anything

i had to basically write off a whole week due to mavericks

i'm not a fan!

gnubler

Once again, why oh why are people even installing this the minute it hits the tubes? I've yet to ever do any kind of upgrade, ever, that didn't have issues. If it ain't broke...it is now!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

We haven't installed it on any prepress Macs but I have installed it on my home iMac because I have to see what it all it broke as far as website browsing because I know a lot of our customers will upgrade first and ask questions later when there is something FREE available. Surprisingly it hasn't broken much in my testing. Kodak did warn us that there are issues with Prinergy and Preps running under Mavericks. Or not running in the case of some.

beermonster

oh all the "desighners" have installed it - and since the studio manager is also the head desighner......

i really didnt want to - i asked three or four times if they were sure

theres a reason mavericks is free (you always get what you pay for) - anyone installing it is a guinea pig - simples

gnubler

Maybe it's just me, now I'm the only Mac user with a stupid cat-named OS. That's probably what all the fuss is about.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

mattbeals

Quote from: beermonster on November 10, 2013, 06:51:29 AMwell we never got the memo that esko wont be supporting mavericks until january

so here's a warning to anyone who uses the pack edge products

do not - lemme do that again - DO NOT install mavericks (unless you have a time machine back up because you will need it!!!)

I was told to install mavericks last week. big big BIG mistake.

the studio "manager" (yeahhh right) didnt tell repro or forward us the email telling us not to go to mavericks. my direct line manager told me it was fine and to do it - so sceptically i did

i wish i didnt. i really really wish i didnt  :banghead:

no time machine back up (they dont use it which is nuts)

plug ins wouldn't load and then the living hell began

had to wipe hard drive and clean install snow leopard, and do the long upgrades back to mountain lion, install Adobe CC and install loads of other stuff

and to cap it all off esko struggled on another machine to re-install the plug ins via licence manager etc - and left ME to do my own

oh - and a co worked who's been there a while just moaned and whined so i ended up doing his workstaton too

:drunk3:

Did you ask first?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

andyfest

Normally you don't get a heads-up from Esko unless you have an annual service contract with them.

FYI - Here is the contents of the email we received from Esko on 28Oct13:

"Dear customer,

We would like to inform you that Esko Software does not support Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks.
Please do not upgrade to Mavericks until support is confirmed on our system requirement pages.
Esko Suite 12 will support Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks from Assembly 5 onwards.
Suite 12 Assembly 5 is scheduled to be released in January 2014.
If you have upgraded to Mavericks already, please contact your support channel.

With best regards,
Esko's Support Team"
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

beermonster

matt - did i ask? yes - several times

i was told to install it - i really didnt want to but my line manager told me to

was on phone with esko tech today actuallly as we got pack edge et al fully working with pilot, automation engine and plato - i said i was dissapointed that the REPRO dept didnt know about mavericks- he admitted that maybe they were not as thorough notifiying folks but there was info on their web site. we dont spend every second of the working day on their site (soon be out of a job) but was amazed my manager didnt know not to upgrade.

i did what i was told but know much much better not to trust people...... :embarrassed:

G_Town

Quote from: andyfest on November 12, 2013, 07:41:41 AMNormally you don't get a heads-up from Esko unless you have an annual service contract with them.

FYI - Here is the contents of the email we received from Esko on 28Oct13:

"Dear customer,

We would like to inform you that Esko Software does not support Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks.
Please do not upgrade to Mavericks until support is confirmed on our system requirement pages.
Esko Suite 12 will support Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks from Assembly 5 onwards.
Suite 12 Assembly 5 is scheduled to be released in January 2014.
If you have upgraded to Mavericks already, please contact your support channel.

With best regards,
Esko's Support Team"

Bump

I'm running Neo, Artpro, AE and Nexus manager all on Mavericks :p

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca