Rampage 10.4 New user help??

Started by JARRIGO, July 10, 2014, 02:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JARRIGO

For reorders re-prints how do I get my folder in queue so my FPO and Sigs are already in place and ready to plate?

do I have to re-rip the pdf and sig?

if so what if the file had been edited in the trap... how would I know?

I was -quickly- taught rampage I have been messing around with it for about a week now.
any advice or cure to my issues.

Ear

I think DigiCorn is versed in Rampage. He is a regular but must have the day off or something. Hang in there.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Gutnbg

I'm thinking back about a year, to a time that I would rather forget, but no, nothing needs to be re-ripped.
You probably have at least two servers. One is the job server that you use to work the jobs, the other is for Rampage. You may have a more extensive network, but these two servers are the only ones that matter here.

Hopefully your archive system (the job and the following stuff on DVD, probably) saved the profiles.
1. Copy the job onto your job server, just in case something is different.

Now to the Rampage server.
2. Load those profiles on the Rampage server in their proper place. You may have to do a "find" to find these folders.

3. There should also be a folder called RSI data, and if I remember correctly, it's inside a folder called Rampage. This is the data that Rampage uses to make plates and proofs.

Load the RSI Data on the server with the other jobs. (You might want to look to see the name of a recent job that you did, and look at the list by date. That might help you find the correct folder, if you're not sure.)

4. When the RSI Data is all copied to that folder, make sure it's okay with everyone else who uses the Rampage server, whether they are sending proofs, plates, or just running pages. Get everyone to quit Rampage Client.

5. There is a pull-down menu on that server, and it's somewhere in the middle ... look for "Reconstruct Page List."

6. Reconstruct the page list. It asks you if you are SURE you want to do it. Yes, you do.

7. It will scroll through every job on the server and tell you when it's done and if there are errors. You will get more familiar with the error list. Still, there is nothing to fear. Pick a winner and move on.

8. Everybody wants back on the server. Let them know it's okay.

This might help a bit. And all the traps or special treatment is already done. Sometimes your profile will need an adjustment, like if your curves have changed. Just use the newest curves for your workflow if the old ones are no longer there.

I'm sure some things are missing, but hopefully this helps.

And welcome to the forum! See David for your first free margarita. :D
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

DigitalCrapShoveler

Good old Gut... nice info.

Welcome to the forums, Jarrigo. We'll try not to scare you off, but don't count on it. :evil:
Member #285 - Civilian

Gutnbg

Luckily, i could remember a lot of that without having flashbacks.

As always, this info is open to further scrutiny and revision. I used to do this just about every day around lunchtime, so what the pulldown menu was called and all that is lost to the same place as i stored multiplication tables and high school locker combinations from 35+years ago.

Those error messages, Jarrigo: They might ask you if you want to fix or delete things. Say yes; you probably can't get to them anyway.

DigiCorn

I WAS off today. Long story. I'll post it elsewhere.

Anyway, if you didn't archive your files via Rampage protocol, you will have to re-rip and re-strip because even if you pull the non-Rampage protocol files, your stripping program may play along, but Rampage will give you a big  :wtf:

I've never tried what Gut posted, but if it works, cool beans.

I find for me, it's just quicker and easier to re-rip and re-strip because with my customers, I am never re-printing books (offset anyway... digital is another story); usually just letterhead, posters, etc. nothing too complicated. I'm a one-man show and I keep intricate details of any odd stuff in a Filemaker file that rides along with the archives. If anything was funny with the job, I have notes.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Gutnbg

That's great when you are the one-man show, but the place where I used this most was a place that I only worked for about two years. I was picking up files that were sometimes five (or more) years old and I never met the "one-lady show" that I took over for.

They did a few funky things with their traps sometimes, so it was good to have the files just as they had run in the past without having to guess if there was something extra to be done with them.

mwc

I 'think' Rampage v10.4 was before the time that archiving/importing jobs was native in the Rampage client.
You will need to use the Pathway application to setup job imports and exports in an automated fashion (this is a Rampage application included on the install CD's)
The manual way to import was discussed earlier---> If you have the RSI data, just place that in the RSI data folder for the new job, then rebuild the page list to see it....
For a real rerun, all you need is the RSI folders for the imposed data...you do not need the individual page folders. We do this all the time, pickup/import a sig from years ago and plot it.

DigiCorn

I started on Rampage 8 back in '04, and it was the only time I had any training with Rampage. The archive option was around back then.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

JARRIGO

I appreciate the input!
I am trying to chip away an keep afloat!
I will keep you posted on how it works out...

I also ran into the issue of dieline's

I go to register my EPS file with a dieline
I select the spot profile single page rip-

than- It gives me a Prescan Error : Sizing problem: does not fit or cannot rotate"

blah...

DigiCorn

Rampage is based on the dimensions fed to it from the platesetter. You must have something way out on the pasteboard, or the dimensions of your job with the dieline (and the marks Rampage adds if you have that option selected) is wider than the physical plate. In this case, you DO need to rotate 90 degrees, and then remember that when imposing. I have multiple Rampage profiles for various odd events.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Gutnbg on July 10, 2014, 06:24:23 PMI'm thinking back about a year, to a time that I would rather forget, but no, nothing needs to be re-ripped.
You probably have at least two servers. One is the job server that you use to work the jobs, the other is for Rampage. You may have a more extensive network, but these two servers are the only ones that matter here.

Hopefully your archive system (the job and the following stuff on DVD, probably) saved the profiles.
1. Copy the job onto your job server, just in case something is different.

Now to the Rampage server.
2. Load those profiles on the Rampage server in their proper place. You may have to do a "find" to find these folders.

3. There should also be a folder called RSI data, and if I remember correctly, it's inside a folder called Rampage. This is the data that Rampage uses to make plates and proofs.

Load the RSI Data on the server with the other jobs. (You might want to look to see the name of a recent job that you did, and look at the list by date. That might help you find the correct folder, if you're not sure.)

4. When the RSI Data is all copied to that folder, make sure it's okay with everyone else who uses the Rampage server, whether they are sending proofs, plates, or just running pages. Get everyone to quit Rampage Client.

5. There is a pull-down menu on that server, and it's somewhere in the middle ... look for "Reconstruct Page List."

6. Reconstruct the page list. It asks you if you are SURE you want to do it. Yes, you do.

7. It will scroll through every job on the server and tell you when it's done and if there are errors. You will get more familiar with the error list. Still, there is nothing to fear. Pick a winner and move on.

8. Everybody wants back on the server. Let them know it's okay.

This might help a bit. And all the traps or special treatment is already done. Sometimes your profile will need an adjustment, like if your curves have changed. Just use the newest curves for your workflow if the old ones are no longer there.

I'm sure some things are missing, but hopefully this helps.

And welcome to the forum! See David for your first free margarita. :D
I, uh, didn't read your post as well as I should have Gut. I got a reprint today and I thought I'd walk through your instructions to see if it worked. I was immediately thwarted on Step 3, as backing up RSI data is part of the Rampage archival process. I should, but NEVER do, back up RSI data, purely for the reason that about 90-95% of our jobs are for Associations doing trade shows or conventions so everything is dated and won't/can't be re-run. Without the RSI data, you can't re-run any job; you must generate new RSI data by re-ripping.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

JARRIGO

IM BACK!! and having more trouble.
Rampage is running super slow and i am trying to rip a catalog and it has an error msg-

Error : Exception Handler - EmitThisPDFPathToEPS
Error : Out of memory.

Any Suggestions?
Please help.
not sure if i should delete jobs out for more memory or if this is overall a server problem?

JARRIGO

Never mind I got it! I just re-ripped the file from the page it stopped at to the end.. seemed to work...

But the system is running slow.
must be a monday thing.

Thank you all for posting and helping me out.
I owe you guys a giant beer!

I'm sure i will be posting more as time goes on- does anyone know where i can find video tutorials for rampage?