News:

Main Menu

Screen PTR-4100

Started by Grimace, May 10, 2011, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Try changing the size to 1 millimeter or .1 inch less than the media size.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Yep... a lot of times the platesetter has an inaccurate measurement, especially in the plate width. The length (around the drum) is measured by a stationary sensor but the width is measured when the centering device for the punch moves in on the plate. This is a somewhat relative measurement as it is calculated by track-screw rotations from home position. If there has been a jam in the centering device, then there is a chance they have been moved slightly. This has happened here and so I just set the plate size in the machine so it works, even though it is not a correct absolute value. Basically, you have to make the platesetter work, then mess with the RB and impo until everything works, even if it makes no sense.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Chilbear

Regarding the horizontal line, try adjusting up/down the setback for the plate and see if the line follows the change. I am betting it is a check box in the RIP to make that line, allowing the press person to identify if the paper to be used is too short - ie the bars use to be on the tail perhaps. Are the small vertical lines with the numbers also coming out or just the one horizontal line?

Grimace

Quote from: Chilbear on May 13, 2011, 10:36:34 AMRegarding the horizontal line, try adjusting up/down the setback for the plate and see if the line follows the change. I am betting it is a check box in the RIP to make that line, allowing the press person to identify if the paper to be used is too short - ie the bars use to be on the tail perhaps. Are the small vertical lines with the numbers also coming out or just the one horizontal line?

The numbers and lines are part of the image, a ruler, just the line is unwanted.

I'll double check the RIP, cause the weird thing is that some jobs are coming through without the line. Even when the page size is the same.
I have to concentrate on actual work today, but will experiment with files later.

Grimace

Okay, back to setting up again. We are switching to Agfa Azura plates.
Does anybody know a good knowledgeable install guy? The guys Pitman sent are having problems remembering how and what does what.
I need a dedicated Screen 4100 pro. Any suggestions?

t-pat

Quote from: Grimace on February 12, 2013, 02:00:19 PMOkay, back to setting up again. We are switching to Agfa Azura plates.
Does anybody know a good knowledgeable install guy? The guys Pitman sent are having problems remembering how and what does what.

I know a guy, ask Sabrina if he was at all helpful. He works for Screen and travels the world doing so, last I saw he was in Osaka or something.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Grimace

Quote from: t-pat on February 12, 2013, 02:42:07 PM
Quote from: Grimace on February 12, 2013, 02:00:19 PMOkay, back to setting up again. We are switching to Agfa Azura plates.

I know a guy, ask Sabrina if he was at all helpful. He works for Screen and travels the world doing so, last I saw he was in Osaka or something.

Thanks, I may get info from you. It's been since 8 this morning, and they haven't even got the focus set yet.

t-pat

like I said, ask Sabrina if this guy was helpful or if he blew her off, I can't say he's my guy, he's just a dude I know from the industry who works for Screen.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Ear

I can't believe the rep for the new plates didn't line up someone who knows what's up. I just tested new brands of plates last month. Both Fuji and Anocoil sent techs in that knew how to set up my Screen 8600. That said, I know it better than they did and kept an eye on them. One messed up a balancer constant setting, which I caught and fixed (could've been really bad) and the other tech did the focus incorrectly, which caused us grief for a day before I caught and fixed his mistake. But they at least knew how to get their way through the platesetter setup.

I suggest, when you do get someone in that knows what to do, watch and learn, that way you don't need to rely on the techs.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

I know a guy - will post his info tomorrow.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Grimace

Thanks for the replies. I have a possible dude around here that we finally got into contact with. Hopefully he can come by and teach me a thing or two.

The Agfa guy just left. Stayed until 6:30 last night. My 8 hour day normally ends at 3:30, so, yay.
I am up and running, but my hopes of solving weird issues we had with the Fuji plates - dashed.

Farabomb

If it makes you feel better mine totally shit the bed today with no real hope of being resurrected... and I have 2 of the bastards.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Sorry - I forgot. I was drunk last night when I posted that, and i forgot all about it until I saw this thread bumped again.

Don Chapman
530-210-4628

He works for Kodak, but he services our Screen 4100. I talked to him, and he said he's not sure Kodak is going to let him continue servicing Screen, and now it's hard for him to get parts.

I also found this number for Screen techs 1-800-372-7737 ext. 2265
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 13, 2013, 02:34:28 PMI was drunk last night when I posted that

Usually when drunk people say "I know a guy" it is a devious, sinister statement.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Duffy

Matt Thomas
MT Precision Graphics
314-283-6855
Out of the St Louis area but very good and very reasonable - but a 1 man show.
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12