News:

Main Menu

Avalon B8 24S

Started by Farabomb, April 06, 2016, 11:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Has anyone had any experience with this machine? AGFA dropped a proposal on us and I asked for a used screen machine and this doesn't really look like it. I really don't want to change workflows but it might get us close to the modern age.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I don't know about that unit but it sure looks like a Screen.

Mine says it's a Fuji Luxel T-9000 but is really a Screen 8600.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

Look at the new Screen Platerite Niagara. Looks pretty close that "Avalon".

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

I was expecting a PTR with a different loading system. Now I reading the proposal and trying to figure out what all this BS means.

One thing that pisses me off, the prop is all low res, looks like shit and I can't even read the specs on some of the pages. You are a graphics company and your proposal looks like shit? That really doesn't look good.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 12:08:15 PMI was expecting a PTR with a different loading system. Now I reading the proposal and trying to figure out what all this BS means.

One thing that pisses me off, the prop is all low res, looks like shit and I can't even read the specs on some of the pages. You are a graphics company and your proposal looks like shit? That really doesn't look good.

I wouldn't worry about that. Kodak can give you a nice glossy brochure but it will cost you a half million dollars.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Just download the PDF. All those glossy brochures we used to print are now online these days.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

Their company logo is low res FFS.

I have to figure out if this includes a RIP and not just a TIFF catcher. If not, the price is a bit nutty.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 12:22:25 PMI have to figure out if this includes a RIP and not just a TIFF catcher. If not, the price is a bit nutty.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't include the RIP...or the Tiff catcher!

Farabomb

For $80k+, it should be the whole deal.

But you know it isn't. Looking at it they have another processor included. We just got one a year ago and it's broken more in that year than the kodak and fuji ones I had combined. It eats fuses for the brushes on average one every 4 months. But it's a FREE! unit. Sure it is. And a FREE! stacker that I don't need.

Under Apogee platemaker LE there is AP platemaker LE and AP raster preview. Then ML 150 Gen 9 Server TKS apogee. I'll assume that's the TIFF catcher and only the catcher.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yep that is an HP server which is probably the tiff catcher. 80K probably wouldn't even get you a demo of the Apogee workflow. They priced it to us at $160K and that was 7 years ago. I doubt if it has gotten any cheaper.

Ear

Yeah, 80k is entry price CTP, no workflow. Try double, and then some, for a good refurb, with loader, stacker and a decent workflow.

DCurry

I used to run an Avalon N8, which was a Screen device. It was very nice. We got that (new), the gummer unit (AzuraTS plates) and the Apogee workflow for around $150k about 6 or 7 years ago.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Ear

The Screen units are good workhorses. Thermal diodes are relatively cheap, if they do fail, and very little maintenance. I get 100+ plates per day out of my 8-up with no problems.

Farabomb

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure we got the prinergy EVO for a steal back when Kodak was in deep shit. We asked AFGA to get close to Kodak's price and they laughed.

I still think even with all the discounts and drop in plate price the $80k is a bit high. I think the last used platesetter we saw was 15-20k.  It probably didn't come with a TIFF catcher but I think I can get one for under $60k.

I still have to deal with the old system and needing to upgrade all the computers in house but with the other interest the boss has I might be able to swing that.

Thanks for all the info guys.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job