Forum > Esko

AE, Workflow Trap Tickets & Images

<< < (2/6) > >>

C2V:
Hi,

Guess I should have been a bit clearer but my post was getting long :)

If the image(s) are 4 colours process or at least 3 process colours and are on a process background then there is no need for trapping to occur you are correct.
I think our old prepess operator was more mentioning something like if the image is built out of cyan + black only and is placed on a magenta, yellow background then using our trap ticket these colour traps would not occur?
(at least that is how I took the statement made to Esko)

It was more a images (with a transparent background) placed onto Pantone backgrounds
These never trap without first creating a tight clipping path around the image(s) in Photoshop.

@Tracey:
"Does a "good image" on a spot background trap?
Like you say it may be the way the customer is putting their images in illy."

If the image(s) had a clipping path created in photoshop then it traps just fine.
Unfortunately I do not know what a "good image" is if I am basing that off the Esko supports answer, as I have never had an image trap to a pantone background without having to create a clipping path first in photoshop.

@David:
"Esko should trap a 4 color image to a pms background, it either will spread the pms into the image or it should generate a mask, place the image into the mask and set it to overprint for traps. We used this function quite a bit."

It should but without that clipping path created first it doesn't.  It does not recongnize where the edge of the image/pixels are to where the background is I guess? I really don't know.  At least not from what I have seen over and over.
I have tried every setting I can think of in our trap tickets, and the settings suggested by the Esko support tech
(suggested to the old prepress operator who opened the ticket 2 years+ ago)
It just ignores the trap that should occur.
If I try to trap the image to the background in Illustrator using the Esko Deskpack plugin trap objects tool it comes up with the following: ' no common edge could be found for trapping'

I would be creating a .pdf prior to import into AE

@Digicorn:
Creating a clipping path around the image (without including the drop shadows) & filling this path with white that is 4-6pixels contraction.
Then going into illustrator, placing this contracted white KO behind the original image and setting the original image to darken or multiply
works sometimes for creating my own trap and it keeps the drop shadows the artist used in their original layered photoshop image.

Needless to say its time consuming due to still having to create the clipping path in the first place to create the KO for each image. : (

I suppose I will have to open another ticket and see if they will assist.
I find Esko support... not that helpful and are VERY quick to close a case regardless if the suggestion they gave works or not for the issue(s) stated.
** Ticket Opened, they are looking into it.  If they find a solution then I will be sure to post it as a reply to my long winded post :)

DigiCorn:
Is there image behind the desired image in Photoshop? If not, it should be easy to mask and remove and leave atop a transparent background layer to save and place as a .psd. Easier than creating a clipping path unless you get luck with the magic wand.

C2V:
It depends on how they supply the file.

for example:
In some cases no, its just a spoon image with ice cream on it with a drop shadow on the spoon sitting onto of a solid pantone background colour.
Other times its spoon image, then a scoop of ice cream image, then berry images on top of that (all  with drop shadows on the spoon, ice cream scoop and berries)

Would the mask be a defining edge?  or just mask in a few pixels and leave a few on the transparent background in order for Esko to trap with?
Photoshop is not my strong application truth be told.

DigiCorn:
Have you thought about converting the Pantone background to a multichannel spot layer and saving as a .psd or DCS .eps?

C2V:
No I have not, if its ever built in photoshop I'll give it a shot.

Right now the backgrounds are built in illustrator (built' aka: one giant rectangle)

I ended up just creating clipping paths around the images in each item, the creating a knock out file thats 2-4 pixels constricted.
Placing them both in illustrator and being done with it.
Not THAT time consuming if its 8 images, but once the other 28 items (112 images to create paths on.....) ..that is another story.

Once we send these 2 items out I am going to email the designer and  try to get them to follow what I did but...its a crap shoot as you all know.
(since the customer is no longer using the best graphics house and settled for someone/some company whom is much cheaper and ... it shows) as is adds a lot of extra non chargeable time on my end.. story of prepress right? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version