Main Menu

Adobe Bridge

Started by jezza, September 27, 2007, 11:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.


I'm making an image catalog using Bridge and applying metadata etc. Piece of pudding really, done it loads of times before.

Here's what's puzzling me. All the images are currently on an external HD, and I'm labouriously plodding through until I occasionally come to a file that cannot have xmp applied to it. Usually, I would open it, 'save as' over it to the same location and just carry on. However, not so this time. So I open it again, 'save as' to a new location then copy it to the previous location over writing the older file. Still no dice.

Quit Bridge and relaunch - still happens
Drop the drive and remount - still happens
Checked / changed permissions - still happens

It's only happened on about two out of three hundred so far (only another 3000 to go!). The only thing I haven't tried at the moment is adding the metadata manually in the 'file info' window.

Any ideas?
one sick prepress mofo


Have you tried renaming the problem file(s)?
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers


I hadn't actually, that's a bloody good idea. You see, the way I'm going about it means that the file name doesn't matter, we would only ever search for keywords (the files are supplied from out side agencies and there is no consistency)

Likewise a folder structure is irrelevant as well.

I'll give it a spin tomorrow and let you know, even if it doesn't work at least you joined my thinking up for me. Nice one Alma.
one sick prepress mofo


Well this is a funny thing, I copied some stuff that I'd saved to my desk top and over wrote the original files as I had previously (i.e. overwriting the files I'd resaved with the same files) and this time the xmp could be modified.

It must be some kind of cacheing thing in Bridge, haven't looked into it too deeply yet

I had a few more troublesome files today and on one I got around the problem by renaming the file. Thanks for that Alamaink


I did have to add metadata manually (which worked) to couple before I tried the renaming thing
one sick prepress mofo