News:

Main Menu

Excel stuff

Started by Joe, March 16, 2018, 07:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

This site looks like a good place for Excel info should you need it.

https://chandoo.org/wp/
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Where the fuck does the damned PDF go when you print to PDF? Can't find it anywhere and save to PDF doesn't work - file is all FUBAR

on Mac OS
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

figured out a work around. that was stressful - had a guy waiting on it and nothing else was working for what he wanted other than the print to pdf. I did all the same procedures, but instead of print to pdf, i hit preview in preview, and then exported the pdf from there. it got what we wanted. save as pdf was making weird page breaks and not doing what was intended.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

under view select normal
and under page setup select fit to 1 page

DigiCorn

yeah - unfortunately for this project, that was not working. Even zamzar messed it up... I got an 11" wide x 1000" long document, 1 single page. It was a long-ass spreadsheet that was supposed to be 118 pages, 11" x 8.5".
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Ah! well that doesn't work then
did you try to change under view?

excel is something I have to fight too sometimes!!

DigiCorn

The document had "defined" page breaks, for whatever that is worth, and I selected and defined the print area, but it kept redefining and splitting up the document, so instead of 118 pages, I'd get like 600+ pages or something. The only way it would run 118 pages as defined was printing as a pdf... then it would write a file 118 pages long, but I don't know where the file ends up. That's why I clicked preview in preview and then exported from there.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Does anyone know how to get to this on a Mac
I'm looking to get to info/Check for Issues/Inspect Document

I have seen this view on a PC but not on a Mac 

Joe

Excel has no business in prepress! (I have no idea how to get to that)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

I have been in variable data hell this week, very complex jobs
sheesh, I was in the bathroom yesterday taking to myself "I Hate this job"!!
I have so much going on personally right now, I don't feel like being this intense at work.

David

I believe it's only on a PC, since the Mac version hasn't been updated since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Quote from: David on November 14, 2023, 02:42:34 PMI believe it's only on a PC, since the Mac version hasn't been updated since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I was wondering about that

scottrsimons

Wonder if "Error Checking..." is the same thing you are looking for Tracy?
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

OOH! Thanks Scott!
I will check the error checking

Not it, I think I might have to look into Macros as this stuff gets so complex, I just kicked the crappy file back
and had them fix it.
There seems to be more in Windows excel than Mac
That's why you have to buy Macros!