Forum > Windows

Dell PowerEdge R730 RAID

(1/4) > >>

Joe:
OS: Windows 2012 R2 Server. One of the arrays in this server is two 600 GB SAS drives as a RAID 1. I want to add 4 more like drives to this Virtual Disk and convert it to RAID 5. According to posts at the Dell forums you can do this without having to format the drives. Step 1 add the 4 drives to the array and the Step 2 reconfig it with the Server Administrator and let it build itself.

This drive contains the Oracle DB for Prinergy on it so it isn't for the weak of heart. Yes I plan on backing that database up multiple times but Kodak says backup software like Acronis will corrupt the database. And they tell me if I want to copy it I need to do that outside of Windows because if I am in Windows and the Oracle services are running that could also corrupt the database when I copy it.

So my goal is to make sure I have multiple good copies of the database before I do the RAID conversion. Anyone else ever attempted to do something like this on the drive where the Oracle Database resides?

david:
going where no man has gone before....

not me Joe, I had my first time hacking into a Firewall last week.
Fun stuff

good luck and may the force be with you.

scottrsimons:
I know when I've had to backup our Kodak servers before. Oracle must be shutdown and all services. I used to boot up via a USB flash drive, and then use Ghost to backup to another USB drive. Which we had a Kodak tech help me set that up, so I could do it.

But as far as the RAID, I wish I had the solution. I have a guy I call in for such things. He's local for me, but would be happy to PM you his info, as he is really good with remoting in and doing the work. As that is how is helps us the most.

Joe:

--- Quote from: scottrsimons link=msg=305259 date=1550243571 ---
I know when I've had to backup our Kodak servers before. Oracle must be shutdown and all services. I used to boot up via a USB flash drive, and then use Ghost to backup to another USB drive. Which we had a Kodak tech help me set that up, so I could do it.

But as far as the RAID, I wish I had the solution. I have a guy I call in for such things. He's local for me, but would be happy to PM you his info, as he is really good with remoting in and doing the work. As that is how is helps us the most.

--- End quote ---

Which is exactly what Kodak has told me. However in the Prinergy Administrator there is a backup function that backs up the Prinergy configs and Oracle database that runs at 5:00 am every morning. How can it do this. I suppose it could shut down all services while it does it but we have people creating jobs, uploading and viewing through Insite 24 hours a day. I've never had anyone complain that it isn't working at 5:00 am.

Thanks for the offer. I will hold off on it for now, I know Kodak uses Ghost when they want to mirror a system so I think I will buy that and backup the whole system and give it a go. Worse comes to worse I can just restore the image of the system and should be good. Or head to Mexico and retire.

Joe:

--- Quote from: david link=msg=305258 date=1550240931 ---
going where no man has gone before....

not me Joe, I had my first time hacking into a Firewall last week.
Fun stuff

good luck and may the force be with you.

--- End quote ---

The force is always with me. Unfortunately it is an opposing force! :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version