Migrate Navigator from XP to Windows 7

Started by rickself, June 03, 2019, 07:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Hey all - we have a Windows 7 box sitting next to our XP RIP station doing nothing but collecting emails. I'd like to migrate Navigator from the XP to the Windows 7 machine. Because the Xitron ArborSB PCI Imager Interface card is PCI, SIMPLE logic says the W7 box has PCI and I should be able to remove from the XP and install into the W7 box. But there is no such thing as SIMPLE logic here. Anybody with any thoughts on this? I'd probably be looking for another job if putting the card into the W7 blows it up!
I mean, we're okay with the way it's running on the XP, we're a very bust shop but not experiencing a bottle neck at plate making. But it WOULD be nice to speed up the ripping process.
Thanks!
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Joe

You can put it in the Win 7 box and it won't blow up but it won't work if you don't have a Win 7 driver loaded for it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

rickself

Hmmmm...guess I'll do some searching. May be a futile attempt but it's a quiet morning so far.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

Joe

One tidbit...PCI cards are not hot swappable. Power off the pc before removing it and make sure the pc you are putting it in is powered off too.

Also don't start the XP pc back up once you remove the card until you are sure it is working OK in the Win 7 pc. 99 times out of 100 it probably wouldn't cause any issues but it is possible that XP could lose its configuration for that card if you start it back up without the card in it.

rickself

Ahhhh-ha. Good advice and duly noted.
We picked up a program called EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro that is supposed to copy all settings files from the XP along with the RIP program. Sounds too easy. I've learned over the years that things generally aren't super easy on PC's.

rickself

I have the RIP install CD. I'll pop it in to the W7 box and see what it tells me.

And thanks for sharing, Joe. Much appreciated.

rickself

Quote from: Joe on June 03, 2019, 07:27:36 AM
You can put it in the Win 7 box and it won't blow up but it won't work if you don't have a Win 7 driver loaded for it.
If we drop the PCI card into the W7 box, will it not search for a driver or would this be asking too much for a 10year off setup?

Joe

For most popular hardware yes because Microsoft creates drivers for them. For RIP's in the printing segment no because those drivers are only developed by the company that provides the hardware. Plus it is Windows 7 and Microsoft is ending support for it 01/14/20.

Joe

Also copy EVERYTHING over using EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro will do just that. Copy XP drivers for hardware that probably will cause Win 7 to not boot.

rickself

Oooo, that would not be good.
Hopefully I can tell it just the Navigator RIP and settings files. That's all I need copied.

Joe

Yes but the Navigator RIP will copy over the XP drivers for that PCI card which probably won't work. It might but it is doubtful. And if it doesn't there is a chance the install CD might have the Win 7 drivers on it. But it won't if the software was written before Win 7 was even a thing.