Forum > Macintosh

Fonts as Zero Bytes on SMB Share

(1/10) > >>

AaronH:
Hey guys,

I'm getting an interesting issue. For some reason, some of my fonts on the SMB share in InDesign's Document Fonts folder are showing up as Zero Bytes after copying over to it.

On the Desktop, they show as having actual file sizes. Unfortunately the way we have to work here at the shop is on the network, because if I have to do any changes to it, I have to copy back from the server which still produces Zero Byte font files on my desktop.

Any idea why my fonts would show up as Zero Bytes and then of course not work?

Thanks,
Aaron

david:
AFP versus SMB

These were probably copied over as a AFP server mount at one point and now you are using an SMB mount and it doesn't copy over the Mac resource fork.

A lot of times (YMMV), if you are using Indesign and you also have a "Document Fonts" folder residing next to the ID file, it will recognize them, even tho they are zero K.

AaronH:
That was my problem, InDesign wasn't recognizing the fonts even with the Document Fonts folder in the same location as the INDD file.

That makes sense though about the SMB vs AFP thing though.

I wish we could get our server situation fixed but it's looking like it's not ever going to be fixed.

DigiCorn:

--- Quote from: david on November 25, 2019, 02:47:06 PM ---AFP versus SMB

These were probably copied over as a AFP server mount at one point and now you are using an SMB mount and it doesn't copy over the Mac resource fork.

A lot of times (YMMV), if you are using Indesign and you also have a "Document Fonts" folder residing next to the ID file, it will recognize them, even tho they are zero K.

--- End quote ---
If you are archiving Mac fonts to a Windows server using SMB, .zip the fonts BEFORE copying to the server to maintain them.

Joe:
Copy the known good fonts to your Mac via AFP. Now copy them back to the server via SMB. From that point on you should be able to copy those fonts back to a Mac via SMB without them going to 0 kb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version