Monitor Large File Transfers

Started by Slappy, December 26, 2019, 09:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

On a Windows Server, anybody ever used a utility to notify of particularly large transfers of files to a desktop on the same network? Ideally I'd like to set a threshold of a specific size limit for files leaving the shared server that would send an alert if such a transfer was initiated. Bonus points if it could prevent the transfer as well.

I've inquired with our IT contractor company too, the guy I discussed it with was a little uncertain so I'm not confident but we'll see.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

So you mean if someone tried to copy "large transfers of files to their desktop on the same network", ie....meaning copying files FROM the server to any other computer on the network and not copying files TO the server? And I assume it is just a LAN drag-drop from the server to the networked computer? Not sure it can be checked with just normal copy. Maybe with a VB script on the server to check the size of the copy queued to copy but the script would have to perform the copy instead of the user just doing a normal copy without the script. Not sure how you would implement that though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on December 27, 2019, 12:00:38 AM
So you mean if someone tried to copy "large transfers of files to their desktop on the same network", ie....meaning copying files FROM the server to any other computer on the network and not copying files TO the server?
That's it, don't care about loading things onto the server, just many files leaving without express knowledge. Hmmmmm, now I wonder since we're set up as Domain Users if the IT folks can set specific usage rights per User. So they view/modify files but not transfer under certain size limitations from the Desktop.

Nobody would know enough to plug a drive directly into the server honestly, so that doesn't concern me as much.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

born2print

I bet they can, like "active directory" which would involve unique user IDs and passwords, then they could likely define usage restrictions
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?