Ubuntu is great and fast

Started by kermit, September 14, 2007, 08:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

If you don't have to use MS stuff try it. It flies on almost any old pc.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Joe

It's pretty fast and has a nice interface. However, it's still Linux underneath. It would be nice to have a file structure similar to what apple uses. Something like an Application folder where applications are installed by default and where you can actually find them after you install them. Not buried somewhere 37 layers deep in strangley named folders. And how about an update to the way drives are mounted instead of going into terminal and entering in a command line string longer than a Quark validation code. And still to this day my Linux share can be seen by both Mac and the PC and it will let neither connect to it. User friendly it is still not.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

doubting_thomas

I just did an Ubuntu 7.04 install on an old G3 for the shop to use as an internet machine. It'll be
perfect for that. I've run the Live CD on a few different Windows boxes just to mess around. It
seems fine for most non-production things.

Joe

Quote from: doubting_thomas on September 14, 2007, 10:46:31 AMI just did an Ubuntu 7.04 install on an old G3 for the shop to use as an internet machine. It'll be
perfect for that. I've run the Live CD on a few different Windows boxes just to mess around. It
seems fine for most non-production things.

Agree completely with that.

zox

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2007, 08:48:43 AMIt's pretty fast and has a nice interface. However, it's still Linux underneath. It would be nice to have a file structure similar to what apple uses. Something like an Application folder where applications are installed by default and where you can actually find them after you install them. Not buried somewhere 37 layers deep in strangley named folders. And how about an update to the way drives are mounted instead of going into terminal and entering in a command line string longer than a Quark validation code. And still to this day my Linux share can be seen by both Mac and the PC and it will let neither connect to it. User friendly it is still not.
While it's true that Apple has hidden underlying system very well, it is very easy to handle Linux.
Especially Ubuntu has taken care of mounting and unmounting of drives.
I am using it 100% at home and have yet to drop to terminal.
This was not the case with previous versions but Ubuntu has matured to the point of nice usabillity.
Give it another month and Gutsy (new version due in October) will blow you off with default setup and compiz.

For Linux, you have to change the way you think about OS and applications.
Why would you want to know where your app is installed?
I am not saying it is hard to find app, for me it's trivial but you have to learn proper way, which is apt-get with GUI such as Synaptic or Ubuntu version of it.
By the way app will never get buried 37 levels, it usually goes to /usr/bin or /usr/share.

All I want to say is you probably have been using Windows and Mac for a while and over the time you accumulated some knowledge on how to use these two systems properly. It takes the same dedication and some time to learn how to use Linux properly.
After you nail it, it's a breeze to use and offers huge advantages over those two proprietary commercial systems, not to say they are not good in their own way.

Joe

I don't disagree with anything you said. I was clearly exaggerating about the 37 levels deep. :o However, I cannot get Ubuntu to mount a floppy or the CD/DVD drive. I've tried everything. And there is the share that I can see from Windows and Mac that it won't let me login to. I can use it, as probably most computer savvy people can, but the average computer user probably can't.

zox

I hear you Joe.
For more than couple of years, Apple stopped shipping Mac's with floppy and I am pretty sure we don't have any Mac's in our department with a floppy.
Do I say Mac sucks because Apple refuse to put obsolete technology into their lovely machines, ..no.
Who knows when is the last time somebody actually worked on a driver for floppy??
I am pretty sure nobody is updating that code because simply, there is no much use for it and it becomes a burden at one point in time.
You are actually lucky that you can get to it through terminal command.

For CD/DVD, something doesn't jive since I've had 0 problems with it.
Every time I put in CD/DVD in my drive, it mounts without problem, and if I put in blank CD/DVD, it prompts me to create and burn CD/DVD, just like Mac.
Heck, I tried plugging external drives formatted with FAT, NTFS, MacHFS+ and they all mount automatically and let me access content.
It even preserve Mac resource forks.

This is not the case with Windows for example, if you plug in external MacHFS+ formatted drive, Windows will offer you only to format and won't let you access your files.

Maybe you have some problem with a system, maybe it didn't install properly.

All I am trying to say is that you can't judge something by having very limited exposure to it.
You have to put it through paces, spend some time with it and you have to adjust to it before you can judge it.

I know that my experience has been nothing but positive, even though I am aware that Linux has a lot of ground to cover before it gains support from big commercial application vendors such as ours in graphic field, if it even happens.
For most of other things, Linux is already there and getting better every day.
Let's not forget that Linux is 100% free in both price and freedom which is not true for Windows or MacOS. :)

Joe

Hi Zox,

I'm not exactly new to Linux. I've been using it since Redhat 7, then through a couple of versions of Fedora and I've been using Ubuntu lately. I do agree I think there is something wrong with this install of Ubuntu. I've got it on a PC with both WIN XP and Fedora. Of the two Linux systems Ubuntu seems to be the most user friendly. Still haven't figured out why Linux won't let me login to the Linux shares from the PC or Mac though. I've scoured google and tried everything under the sun. Maybe I'll go with the new release in October and give it another shot with a fresh install. The floppy isn't that big of a deal. It's not really necessary in this day and age.

Edit: PS: Yes, I really love the price of the Linux OS! ;D

Lammy

OK, didn't read the whole thread, prolly will later.

But the whole thing with Linux, unless your doing the server deal (http,sql,perl) what's the point? I mean aside from surf and email what can ya do with it? ???
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

Joe

It's mainly just a hobby for me. For real work I use the Mac. I like the PC for games.

zox

Quote from: Lammy on September 18, 2007, 08:30:57 PMOK, didn't read the whole thread, prolly will later.

But the whole thing with Linux, unless your doing the server deal (http,sql,perl) what's the point? I mean aside from surf and email what can ya do with it? ???
I do mostly surf and mail and watch movies, but I also download images from my camera and manage them.
As a side hobby, sometimes I play with Inkscape (vector illustration), Scribus (quark-like layout software) and Gimp.
Not much time at home with two small kids.
 :)

There is tons of software for pretty much anything.
What are you using your mac for, except for commercial work in Indesign, Photoshop, etc..?

doubting_thomas

Quote from: Lammy on September 18, 2007, 08:30:57 PMBut the whole thing with Linux, unless your doing the server deal (http,sql,perl) what's the point? I mean aside from surf and email what can ya do with it? ???

If that's all you need it for, it's a perfect solution vs. paying for an OS.

born2print

Servers and web = Linux
Graphics = Mac
Solitaire = PC

(I know, that joke's so old, it's gonna itch when it dries)
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?