Illustrator for a Chromebook

Started by David, January 26, 2021, 04:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

any you guys ever use a Chromebook for work?
what can I use for Illustrator like software?

We got a new Chromebook to use to feed a borrowed laser cutter (it needs either illustrator .ai  or Corel draw, pdf... yadayada), neither of which run on a Chromebook.

any ideas?
toss the Chromebook, get a windows box?
did I mention I hate jacking with anything google
:drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on January 26, 2021, 04:49:27 PM
any you guys ever use a Chromebook for work?
what can I use for Illustrator like software?

We got a new Chromebook to use to feed a borrowed laser cutter (it needs either illustrator .ai  or Corel draw, pdf... yadayada), neither of which run on a Chromebook.

any ideas?
toss the Chromebook, get a windows box?
did I mention I hate jacking with anything google
:drunk3:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You're kidding right? Who was the genius that decided to buy a new Chromebook for this kind of work? My vote goes for "toss the Chromebook".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Chromebooks are basically for internet access only. There's practically no hard drive, and practically no RAM.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

I second for ditching the Chromebook!
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

David

thanks guys, we reached the same conclusion yesterday after I made this post...

am searching for a windblows box now.

they got it without asking me, and I had no idea until they asked me to help set it up.

:facepalm:

Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Looks similar to one I bought about a year ago. Beware...it appears this, like the one I bought, has no ethernet port so it is wifi only. Mine dud have a USB C port and I had to buy a USB c to Etherent adapter to get it wired into our network. I'm not a fan of wireless in a work environment.

Lots of laptops do not have ethernet ports these days. If you want it wired check them out carefully.

David

No ethernet port that was the first thing I noticed, but this is going to be located in a part of the shop where there is currently no network ports...(future work for me YAY!...   not)

I was thinking for now use the wi-fi for what little work will be going through this, even the wi-fi that is in that part of the shop is a little slow.
Thinking most of the work going to it will be transferred via USB stick anyway for now.

other than that Joe, did yours hold up well for what you use it for?

TIA

:banana:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

born2print

The Chrome book is great for children / virtual school.
Also pretty ok for OLD folks with limited digi skills.
That's it, not a proper PC as y'all already figured.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

man, just turning it on and setting it up was a pain.
friggen google wants to know all about you, your family, how many kids you got, what age they are... and how you plan on paying for all the stuff

we're sending it back, thank god

:gom:
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Our school district uses Chromebooks, and they had a few hundred of them. When Covid hit, you could sign up for a *loaner,* to do distance learning. We are still on the distance learning protocol, but we didn't take the free loaner Chromebook. We had an old iMac and i3 laptop we were using, but a few years ago I bought a 13" Samsung Chromebook at the school fundraiser auction ($160 was the winning bid) and she likes it so that's what she prefers to use. My son, of course, has to have everything she has... so I promised I'd buy him one. A few months back, I did... the 15.6" newer Acer model ($60 used, but the shift key is sticky and apparently Chromebook keyboards lack the ability to pry up the keys to clean). For school, they're great. For everything else, not so much. But, they boot up in seconds and with the Google crap on it, I have pretty much full control over their online experience, so they're GREAT for young, curious, kids.

Our school district uses something that they call the SJUSD Portal, and if you configure your Chromebook to use the Portal as the primary login, it's pretty much no nonsense, no foolin' around when it comes to web safety. Mostly it's a variety of simultaneous Chrome OS extensions. Combine that with the Google Family mobile phone app and you'll know immediately if your kid farts while browsing online. At 11 (going on 14) and 7, I have to keep a tight reign on internet access, so Chromebooks rock at that. We put the iMac and the Windows 10 i3 laptop in the living room at a shared desk, so no one is gonna take any liberties there either.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway