Looking for pressman in Mississauga Canada

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, October 05, 2021, 09:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

If you were in your 20s would you get into printing?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

bornrd

Just did!

EDIT: I'm actually learning design but since we lost a prepress person i took on the duty of XMF and Prepress.

There are a few people learning printing at school, tho! Some even under 20.  I'm almost 30 lol

macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings

C2V

Quote from: DCurry on October 12, 2021, 05:49:09 AM

Not a chance in hell.
Better paying careers with more opportunities for growth exist today
(for Prepress that is.  Pressmen seem to make a nice hourly wage but the shift work must suck and the working conditions vary greatly from place to place)

Personally I find there are not a lot of places here in Ontario that want to pay more than Ontario's minimum wage for prepress work.
Lots of smaller 'mom n pop' places versus larger print companies.

If you do find something that pays well (something you can pay the bills with and put gas in the car.. if you can afford a car) then you either need to move to an expensive city (Toronto or surrounding parts... Burlington and Hamilton are getting expensive rent wise and home wise)
or commute 45mins - 1hr+ each way. every day.

so again, not a chance in hell.
(been in prepress for 16 years now)

born2print

Printing has been very good to me and my wife, and was really-REALLY good to my dad.
That being said, my son is a barista at Charbucks, lol
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

andyfest

Although prepress and printing were good to me over the course of my career, it's just not the case these days. The company that I worked for previously for decades is held above water by a very small core of key production people, most of whom are my age. Some of them have put in for retirement. As they lose these people the ship will go down. Also, check out some of the larger producers, including the company I worked for, on Indeed or Glassdoor and the employee review ratings are very poor - usually only 1 or 2 stars. Low wages, clawed back benefits, no pensions, temp agency employment are what potential applicants can look forward to now. Not a chance in hell I would go into printing if I were 40 years younger now.
:cane:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on October 23, 2021, 10:07:22 AM
Although prepress and printing were good to me over the course of my career, it's just not the case these days. The company that I worked for previously for decades is held above water by a very small core of key production people, most of whom are my age. Some of them have put in for retirement. As they lose these people the ship will go down. Also, check out some of the larger producers, including the company I worked for, on Indeed or Glassdoor and the employee review ratings are very poor - usually only 1 or 2 stars. Low wages, clawed back benefits, no pensions, temp agency employment are what potential applicants can look forward to now. Not a chance in hell I would go into printing if I were 40 years younger now.
:cane:

Same here. We hired my replacement. Only person that applied. 62 years young and has been out of work for a year and a half.

Slappy

Quote from: DCurry on October 12, 2021, 05:49:09 AM
I'm having a tough time even recommending past co-workers to come into my current shop, and we need workers badly.
I can't imagine anybody with the skills needed to even start in prepress wouldn't go into the IT field instead. Hell, I know of one guy who recently left printing to get into cloud/IT work. Smart feller.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

pspdfppdfxhd

pspdfppdfxhd

We found a part timer guy... seems to be working ok so far.

Saw a prepress job being advertised. (company had advertised for the job about a month ago but seem to be looking again).

Pay: $15 to $33 dollars an hour.... what are they trying to say? Typo? I might think about applying but they specifically want "Heidelberg Prinect software" experience.

Joe

So they give you a choice between $15 and $33 per hour? Hint: Take the $33.

pspdfppdfxhd

I'm thinking with the people they've been seeing, they may have to hire 2 people at 15 or one that knows what they are doing at 33. I bet a guy like you left and they are scrambling to find someone. I'm going to be 62, I might be similar to the guy that's replacing you!

Joe

If I had known the issues I would endure applying for social security, medicare (part A, B, C, D, G, N, etc...) and pensions I would have worked until I died. Imagine your worst print customer handing your health and financial future. :banghead:

Tracy

do they reduce your social security when you have a pension?
I always wondered this, I will be getting a very small pension from when I worked at the Newspaper
if there is any money left for me!  :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on December 01, 2021, 09:52:47 AM
do they reduce your social security when you have a pension?
I always wondered this, I will be getting a very small pension from when I worked at the Newspaper
if there is any money left for me!  :laugh:

No but if you decide to get another job when you retire there are limits to how much you can make before they start docking your SS. I have 3 pensions plus my SS. I'm about to have a stroke dealing with issues I mentioned. So I'll probably drop dead during my first week of retirement. I think they plan it that way.