Prepress Positions WI & IL

Started by Foozball, November 04, 2021, 03:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

Hey all,
I'm posting this for my team, who use these guys to setup all our packaging:
https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Oec-Graphics,-Inc/jobs

If you have experience (not a blood sausage), location works for you and you're looking - take a shot by applying to see what happens.

While I haven't worked for this specific group, I can vouch for the guy looking to hire the people and will say he is "one of us" when it comes to printers and all the insane-nerd crap that we know, that keeps us employed in this business.

I worked for 4 years at a competitor company in the same position ... it's nice to NOT stink of fixer, replenisher or MRC anymore ... though it's still in my blood!  :cane:

Possum

Hey, you don't ever get the stink off. I know.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Foozball

That stink does fade away ... only lives on now in my attitude!
(That's why I posted the job/s ... they need someone with all-round experience and a wrathful attitude towards QC work!)

pspdfppdfxhd

Foozball

Yeah, some times I forget not everyone has been snooping on this site forever - this is 10+ years old and gives a good "idea":
https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=3318.0

There is a point-by point explanation on here somewhere put the term in this sites SEARCH box and it gets pages of hits ... if you find the detailed one let me know!

Tracy

ha ha, fun to reread old threads.
The guy that took my place when I quit for a minute  :laugh: He refused to help in the bindery when asked.
that was all it took for my boss, he rarely asks for help from prepress, I actually like helping, gets me away from the computer.
I would think this is 1 quality of a sausage

Possum

I actually worked with a girl who thought she was being punished when asked to help in the back for a bit. It was too hot, awwww. Talk about a sausage!

scottrsimons

Helping in other departments (when needed) is how I have gained all the knowledge I have at this point. Good or bad. All in all, I truly believe it makes me a better Prepress person. At a party not long ago, I was talking with a prepress person from another shop who was about my age, and was surprised at all the knowledge they didn't have. But he does work for a "corp" shop (where it seems that you have a job to do and that's it) and I have always worked for small shops (where you have a job but also everybody else's job as well).
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on November 08, 2021, 09:32:08 AM
What's a blood sausage?

Official definition:

"A blood sausage is a sausage filled with blood that is cooked or dried and mixed with a filler until it is thick enough to solidify when cooled. Pig, cow, horse, donkey, sheep, chicken, duck, and goat blood can be used, varying by country."

(YO GOTTA GET ME SOME OF THEM!)

pspdfppdfxhd

Tracy

Blood Sausage
A stubbornly inept and incompetent person; particularly a coworker who continually does tasks the wrong way, despite having been shown the correct way numerous times. Generally sloth-like in behavior and appearance, yet perks up willfully when prompted by the presence of those in charge.
"I have several guys I work with that are just lazy blood sausages that do absolutely nothing. To boot, they bitch when they have to work. I have actually witnessed people purposely sabotaging jobs to get out of working them. So I stopped complaining about my 'blood sausage' co-worker's lack of abilities, as I realize it's going to keep me needed around here..."

Joe

I came up into printing in a union shop. If you tried to go do another job classification you were likely to end up swimming with the fishes wearing concrete boots.

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Yet somehow these sausages manage to keep their jobs by steering their lack of production and blame onto other workers. It's the one thing they do well and with enthusiasm.

born2print

My experience was the opposite. I did shipping / receiving, deliveries, bindery... THEN prepress from the bottom (filing, contacting, camera helper, color keys and bluelines)
I think it gave me a much better understanding of what it takes to make product as good as it could or should be.
There's other prepressers that really don't even understand things like binding styles or sig IDs by contrast. They may even know what to do mostly but don't truly understand it so if a wrench gets thrown in they are helpless.
I much prefer production background to a rebaked designer or Kinkos type person.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Tracy

I worked union too, yep you can't do anybody's work, you can't start 1 minute before shift
and so many workers you wanted to do someone else's work  :laugh:
(lots of standing around)