Our days numbered?

Started by jimking, May 19, 2008, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Quote from: almaink on May 19, 2008, 10:28:29 AMI don't think this will ever happen in small shops like mine. Took me over 5 years just to get CTP in here never mind a workflow like this one. One thing I am seeing tho is less and less work period. Seems everyone is cutting back on their printing budgets.
I gave this a thought and it can happen to small shops too. If money is tight and the software's right, a small shop will cut people out if it's possible.

Tracy

I just learned Electronic Prepress a few years back, I fought the change for as long as I could. Does anybody have any suggestions on applying what we know to something else? Just in case that is.

gnubler

Web development, as discussed in some other threads. I bought some books about five years ago and just plunged in. There are infinite resources online for all areas of web design/development.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Quote from: Tracy on May 19, 2008, 11:29:11 AMI just learned Electronic Prepress a few years back, I fought the change for as long as I could. Does anybody have any suggestions on applying what we know to something else? Just in case that is.

Being a prepress geek helps develop kick-ass video game skills. My teenagers get irritated because I can usually beat them or at least give them a run for their money. Don't know that playing video games helps you make money but it's a good distraction for when we get laid off.  :laugh:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

jimking

Quote from: gnubler on May 19, 2008, 11:40:36 AMWeb development, as discussed in some other threads. I bought some books about five years ago and just plunged in. There are infinite resources online for all areas of web design/development.
Once you become committed to web creation then pressure will mount to do graphic design also. There's another trade out there that got hammered similar to printing and it was video production, editing etc. It's been a hobby of mine these last few years and the employment has been picking up alot, not going down. I'm a member of this site.
http://www.2-popforums.com/forums/
http://www.2-pop.com/

ninjaPB_43

Im thinking if it all comes crashing down, I'll just shack up with some sugar mama..   
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Zimmy3

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on May 19, 2008, 12:02:59 PMIm thinking if it all comes crashing down, I'll just shack up with some sugar mama..   

who?  Pointy?
Because it feels good !

Ear

Quote from: Zimmy3 on May 19, 2008, 12:11:46 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on May 19, 2008, 12:02:59 PMIm thinking if it all comes crashing down, I'll just shack up with some sugar mama..   

who?  Pointy?

Bwaaahahahahaaaa!  :laugh: :laugh:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

ninjaPB_43

who?  Pointy?

I WISH!!   Man, that would be the life...
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Ear

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on May 19, 2008, 01:15:33 PM

who?  Pointy?

I WISH!!   Man, that would be the life...

Maybe... "Oh PB, would you be a darlin and fetch me my long broom"... "C'mon Pointy, can't we play a different game, I still have splinters from last time"  :laugh:

ninjaPB_43

Slappy

We started using InSite some months back - I don't see it as an immediate threat honestly. For clients that want to learn how to supply press-ready PDF files, it's a boon. But we've already had many say "Why change the way we work? You do what you've always done & we'll do what we've always done."

Who knows, hopefully by the time this turns into a true punch-a-button every few minutes job I'll be long gone. If not, I'll try my hand at selling painted sea shells on the beach.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Ear

Quote from: Slappy on May 19, 2008, 03:15:13 PMWho knows, hopefully by the time this turns into a true punch-a-button every few minutes job I'll be long gone. If not, I'll try my hand at selling painted sea shells on the beach.

Or this...

frailer

I reckon you can feel these changes.; on a weekly~monthly basis... This thread almost deserves to be a Sticky. We'll revisit this discussion regularly, IMO.

It's also manifested in some prepress ops. clinging to their old-style methods/skills. Can't share/won't share, cos they feel the ground moving under them...as their old precious skills are not needed in quite the same way.      :shhh:   Just an observation, is all...  I mean no offence to anyone who struggled with Old PostScript etc. in the 90's. really! Just talking from personal experience.

There may be a "shake-out" of this skill-corner, similar to the demise of massed litho. planners [strippers?] at a row of light tables. Some will re-purpose themselves. Others, prolly me included, will be destined for the Soylent Green Factory.     :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on May 19, 2008, 03:15:13 PMWe started using InSite some months back - I don't see it as an immediate threat honestly. For clients that want to learn how to supply press-ready PDF files, it's a boon. But we've already had many say "Why change the way we work? You do what you've always done & we'll do what we've always done."

Who knows, hopefully by the time this turns into a true punch-a-button every few minutes job I'll be long gone. If not, I'll try my hand at selling painted sea shells on the beach.

I made this point to my owner. His response was "tough shit for them, they'll either change or go somewhere else." Didn't make me feel all warm and  fuzzy with job security.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.