Canon iPF8100 - wide format

Started by Sabrina The Turd Polisher, October 27, 2011, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Does anyone here have/use a Canon iPF8100 (or similar machine)?
I've got a question about printheads...
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I have an iPF 8000 that has been out of service for some time because we are too cheap to buy print heads. What do you need to know?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

what I've learned so far about this machine:

print heads go bad.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Twice a year. Like clockwork. The thing is, you can print a config page from the control panel and it looks fine but you can't print to it. I've tried every trick I know to trick it that I've changed print heads but it just knows I'm lying.

Quote from: Joe on October 27, 2011, 10:13:04 AMI have an iPF 8000 that has been out of service for some time because we are too cheap to buy print heads. What do you need to know?
I think you've already answered my question without going into details.
But here goes:
About two weeks ago when I sent a job to the 8100, it gave an error message to "clean the L and R printheads or press online to continue printing".
The quality is the same as it has been since we've had the thing. That's the funny part, I don't see any lines, banding or otherwise and the color is still great.
I've ran the machine through Head Cleaning B three times today, three times about two weeks ago. Still, same error. Performed a nozzle check this morning, twice and they both look fine.

So it sounds to me the printhead is simply reached the end of it's life.
The machine was installed Early October 2008 and to be honest, it's only used about once or twice a week.
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Once you start getting that message you can hit the online button for awhile but it is a precursor for needing new heads and when it stops I have not found a work around. There are two and they are around $600 apiece. I did find them in China for about $475 but that's when we stopped making hard proofs and we now have a 12 color printer gathering dust. (Make an offer....it's a great printer if you want to buy the heads   :laugh: )

Thank you SO MUCH for the info Joe!

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david