Anyone using Adobe CC

Started by RMPrepress, July 24, 2013, 01:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Whoa, it's Hotmetal... how's it going, brother?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: hotmetal on July 16, 2014, 01:06:49 PM
Quote from: Possum on July 16, 2014, 12:53:50 PMThe Adobe police haven't caught on yet?

Yesterday an old friend mentioned that his daughter wants a copy of Photoshop for her 2-year-old Mac laptop. He was utterly perplexed by the Adobe web page. He doesn't want a pirated copy, just an older Mac pre-cloud license that he can get transfered to himself.

He's a college professor, so he has that trump card to play. I told him to call his school's software center immediately and see what they can do for him. I also pointed him towards some ebay auctions from what were probably honest and knowledgeable sellers of disks for CS5 and CS6 and suggested he let me look over any deal he's tempted to go for.

Anyone have other suggestions?

GIMP

Can't beat the price. FREE!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

hotmetal

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 16, 2014, 01:12:50 PMWhoa, it's Hotmetal... how's it going, brother?

Life is good in my neck of the woods. The wife is still working, but only for another 13 months or so, and I certainly don't miss working in a prepress madhouse. In two bands at the moment. Just fun jams. There's no money in bar gigs but once in a while one or the other of them does something fun, like the VFW picnic and fundraiser I'm playing up in the boondocks in August. Free beer and food, appreciative audience.

And then there's my lucky find of a rare, interesting, and easy to please, freelance client, a kids book publisher. They originally hired me because I know how to use Quark, and a lot of their back files that need updates are in it. Lately they've been giving me a lot more stuff. Apparently their printer really likes the files I send.

I haven't come across yourself lately on my occasional visits. How's the life of the world's hardest working digital crap shoveler going these days?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: hotmetal on July 16, 2014, 02:14:03 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 16, 2014, 01:12:50 PMWhoa, it's Hotmetal... how's it going, brother?

Life is good in my neck of the woods. The wife is still working, but only for another 13 months or so, and I certainly don't miss working in a prepress madhouse. In two bands at the moment. Just fun jams. There's no money in bar gigs but once in a while one or the other of them does something fun, like the VFW picnic and fundraiser I'm playing up in the boondocks in August. Free beer and food, appreciative audience.

And then there's my lucky find of a rare, interesting, and easy to please, freelance client, a kids book publisher. They originally hired me because I know how to use Quark, and a lot of their back files that need updates are in it. Lately they've been giving me a lot more stuff. Apparently their printer really likes the files I send.

I haven't come across yourself lately on my occasional visits. How's the life of the world's hardest working digital crap shoveler going these days?

Back to the grind. I have been AWOL the last year of so due to a certain tornadic act of the powers that be, took me a little while to get my head back on straight. Feeling 110% and back at it. Life that is.

You sound really well, and sounds like you got a really kick-ass set-up. If we could all end up so lucky, my friend. Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself, keep it up. It gives us all hope and there is a light at the end of the Prepress tunnel.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Quote from: Possum on July 16, 2014, 12:53:50 PMThe Adobe police haven't caught on yet?

Too busy counting the incoming cash.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

Going to the Cloud-ugh  :tantrum2:

any tips on installing and also updating?

David

drink heavily before downloading...  or drink while you wait on it to download.

You are about to embark on a magical trip...

it's all unicorns and rainbows
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Quote from: Tracy on August 06, 2014, 02:27:56 PMGoing to the Cloud-ugh  :tantrum2:

verify you got the right OS and lots of Ram, click the link, wait for it to either work or not.
Post back when it doesn't work.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

Then post to Adobe's forums when it keeps on not working.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

Hopefully you have good download speed. Ours here is 5 mbps and it took three days to download, install and get running. I had to do it twice (once on Mac and once in Windows).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on August 06, 2014, 02:27:56 PMGoing to the Cloud-ugh  :tantrum2:

Prepare to be frustrated.

Have one of those chocolate beers.

Pray.

Tracy

:laugh:
Thanks guys, I guess I knew it wasn't a happy thing
maybe I will do it friday at the end o day

David

yeah, let it download over the weekend for sure.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Lucky me! Photoshop CC2014 crashes at launch every time starting today. Deleting prefs or rebooting did not help. I suppose I will have to re-install the whole damn CC2014 to get it working again. You suck Adobe!

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on August 06, 2014, 06:04:40 PMLucky me! Photoshop CC2014 crashes at launch every time starting today. Deleting prefs or rebooting did not help. I suppose I will have to re-install the whole damn CC2014 to get it working again. You suck Adobe!

Wow, sorry you folks are having so much... fun... coming to grips with what appears to be the resurgence of Caltiki the Immortal Monster. Could this be the harbinger of the fast approaching singularity, where all our troubles shall be cast aside and everything will... just work... perfectly... forever... in the Cloud?

I'm depending on you super heros of the digital graphic arts milieu to keep me briefed on the Adobe Situation.

Keep watching the skies.    :uptonogood:     
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson