Hold on upgrading to macOS 10.15 Catalina

Started by AaronH, September 23, 2019, 03:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys, I just got a letter in the mail from Fuji saying to hold off on updating to Catalina. Apparently Catalina will no longer support 32 bit applications and XMF will not run on Catalina. They did say however that a future update will move the XMF Client app to 64 bit, though not exactly when that would be happening.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Slappy

lol, Catalina?? I literally just put Mojave on a week or so ago! Not a fan of new OS updates on work machines, nope nope nope.

And still, we all got those irritating 32-bit warning on severals apps. I think XMF even threw one over Mojave.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

seratne

Used Mac prices are going to be going up. We had to order a new workstation early just so we wouldn't get stuck with Catalina.

AaronH

Quote from: Slappy on September 23, 2019, 07:45:34 PM
lol, Catalina?? I literally just put Mojave on a week or so ago! Not a fan of new OS updates on work machines, nope nope nope.

And still, we all got those irritating 32-bit warning on severals apps. I think XMF even threw one over Mojave.

Yeah I just got one of those on Friday. I had to do a fresh install of macOS to fix all of my weird issues I was having on Sierra. I figured I might as well just go up to current.

Quote from: seratne on September 24, 2019, 08:40:21 AM
Used Mac prices are going to be going up. We had to order a new workstation early just so we wouldn't get stuck with Catalina.

Oh I bet they will. It's an interesting move for Apple. Windows still supports 32bit software in Windows 10. I imagine it's to simplify development though, if you only have to do half of the coding work behind the scenes...
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

seratne

QuoteOh I bet they will. It's an interesting move for Apple. Windows still supports 32bit software in Windows 10. I imagine it's to simplify development though, if you only have to do half of the coding work behind the scenes...

I think it's a large part them prepping a move to ARM processors, which, for Apple are only 64 bit.