News:

Main Menu

Complex traps?

Started by PrepressCrapFixer, June 03, 2020, 08:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrepressCrapFixer

I seem to be missing something when it comes to trapping bitmaps.  I have a file that is a 1200 dpi bitmap that is colored Pantone 7455 which is placed on top of a Pantone 128 solid fill.  For some reason it considers the bitmap to be a complex bitmap (whatever) and ignores it.  I have even told used trap editor to tell it to trap all, but it still won't trap it.  What am I missing?  My old antiquated system prior to switching to Prinergy could do it, but not this "state of the art" system.

https://we.tl/t-ZYweI1iX0E
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Joe

I can't get it to trap either. The only thing I can see that may be an issue is that Pitstop shows it as a bitmap mask instead of just a bitmap. Not sure if that is why though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

PrepressCrapFixer

I see that too.  Maybe I have to look at the save settings from photoshop?
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

PrepressCrapFixer

Okay so I figured it out.  I converted the "Bitmap" (which for some reason when exported from Indesign turns it into an image mask) into a grayscale image, then loaded the image as a selection, pasted into a new channel, converted to a monotone of 7455, then saved as a PSD file. When exported from Indesign, it now is at least considered an image.  As a bonus, Prinergy trapped it.  YAY!!!

PrepressCrapFixer

...And Joe, Thanks for taking a look at this and at least confirming my issue. :cool:

pspdfppdfxhd

I ran it through the rip here and it trapped.

Just sayin for what it's worth.

Joe

pspdfppdfxhd

pspdfppdfxhd

Can't remember too many issues we've had with this rip since upgrading to the latest version. Been a couple of years without the crazy workaround scenario going on.

scottrsimons

I just tried on our Prinergy with the original file and it didn't work either, but I also tried with Kodak TrapEditor and got this message. If it helps.
"1 complex bitmaps were ignored during processing. To select and trap these bitmaps you may retrap the page with the 'Trap All' image bitmap option."
Which still did not work.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

C2V

Tried with Esko Automation Engine 18.1.1 and our basic trapping ticket ...surprise surprise it would not trap it.

Had to go into the trap settings and tell it to stop ignoring bitmaps and then it trapped the file.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on June 03, 2020, 09:32:13 AM
Okay so I figured it out.  I converted the "Bitmap" (which for some reason when exported from Indesign turns it into an image mask) into a grayscale image, then loaded the image as a selection, pasted into a new channel, converted to a monotone of 7455, then saved as a PSD file. When exported from Indesign, it now is at least considered an image.  As a bonus, Prinergy trapped it.  YAY!!!

Ah yes, love those easy fixes!

Joe

Quote from: scottrsimons on June 03, 2020, 12:38:15 PM
I just tried on our Prinergy with the original file and it didn't work either, but I also tried with Kodak TrapEditor and got this message. If it helps.
"1 complex bitmaps were ignored during processing. To select and trap these bitmaps you may retrap the page with the 'Trap All' image bitmap option."

Same here. As usual Kodak's error messages are useless. The message should have read "1 bitmap mask was ignored during processing. To trap these bitmap masks you may retrap the page with a different workflow." :rotf:

born2print

Quote from: Joe on June 03, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
Quote from: scottrsimons on June 03, 2020, 12:38:15 PM

Same here. As usual Kodak's error messages are useless. The message should have read "1 bitmap mask was ignored during processing. To trap these bitmap masks you may retrap the page with a different workflow." :rotf:
:BURN!:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

PrepressCrapFixer

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on June 03, 2020, 12:04:13 PM
Xitron Navigator

http://www.xitron.com/

Figures!  When we did our workflow upgrade it came down between Kodak and Xitron.  Obviously Prinergy won, but I did really like a lot of what Xitron had to offer too.  I think it really boiled down to the fact that we already had a plate contract with Kodak so it may have offered a few more freebies along the way to entice the decision that way.