News:

Main Menu

What font is this?

Started by DCurry, November 14, 2012, 08:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

I had one the other day - same scenario where I had to recreate a logo rather than ask the client. Usually I have great luck with WhatTheFont, but on this particular one it didn't come up with a good match so I tried Identifont. It asks you a bunch of questions about different characters. I only had a few characters, so most of my responses were "not sure". After about 30 questions, it nailed it for me!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

First place was what the font and yea, it didn't work all that well. It wouldn't attempt to guess the wattsun one.

Thanks for all the ideas, this will be tomorrow's project. I got caught up in helping fix things out on the production floor today. Seems our new to us horizon binder has a lot of screws I just happen to have in my RC car parts bins. Now I hope he doesn't expect me to run home every time we need to fix the binder.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

I'd use either Helvetica Bold or Helvetica Neue Bold for the "Wattsun" and the Futura family for the rest.

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on March 28, 2016, 01:00:11 PMFirst place was what the font and yea, it didn't work all that well. It wouldn't attempt to guess the wattsun one.

Thanks for all the ideas, this will be tomorrow's project. I got caught up in helping fix things out on the production floor today. Seems our new to us horizon binder has a lot of screws I just happen to have in my RC car parts bins. Now I hope he doesn't expect me to run home every time we need to fix the binder.

Just be sure to punch out before you run home to get them! :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Don't give him any more bad ideas, he has enough of them already.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Helvetica bold seems dead nuts on for the wattsun. What sucks is the regular version was the first one I looked at but for some reason it didn't click. I was all over the place yesterday.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

Helvetica is a pretty exotic and rare font, so no one can blame you.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

So exotic that it has it's own movie.

That's why I'm pissed as it's the 2 fonts I can normally pick out easily.

It is possible it's Arial.

We've been dead for a week now, my brain is in sleep mode.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Normally with that type of stuff I hunt google for a pdf with the company logo. Most times I am able to find a pdf that is unlocked with a full vector logo. I tried looking for Wattsun and found nothing, other then some documents saying "Wattsun Brand Transitions into Array Technologies'" Looks like they are under the Array brand now, which was easy to find a workable logo for, but nothing for Wattsun.

Slappy

That's my first stop for lesser brands too, hit the site & hope to find an annual report or Job App or something with a decent logo that can be ripped outta that bitch like a full sized Butterfinger from a toddler's hand at Halloween.

WhatTheFont has really tanked lately, not sure what happened to their ID algorithm but I don't even bother any more.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Farabomb on March 29, 2016, 11:11:03 AMSo exotic that it has it's own movie.

That's why I'm pissed as it's the 2 fonts I can normally pick out easily.

It is possible it's Arial.

We've been dead for a week now, my brain is in sleep mode.
Definitely not Arial - the lower case 't' has a flat top
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

Quote from: wonderings on March 29, 2016, 02:37:03 PMNormally with that type of stuff I hunt google for a pdf with the company logo. Most times I am able to find a pdf that is unlocked with a full vector logo. I tried looking for Wattsun and found nothing, other then some documents saying "Wattsun Brand Transitions into Array Technologies'" Looks like they are under the Array brand now, which was easy to find a workable logo for, but nothing for Wattsun.

And it will soon be under other ownership.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Doing something for a friend and she likes the font used in this, not sure what it is. It looks familiar but I can't place it and to many fonts in my collection to go through. Anyone have an idea of what it is?