Add file name to pdf inside trim as a code

Started by TBKeffer, January 22, 2020, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBKeffer

I want to automate (with a hot folder, possibly Pitstop server) the addition of the file name inside the trim of a pdf.

We use the file name as a code for the printed piece. I can currently do this with Pitstop, but the actions are limited.
The file names is being placed where I want it, but it includes ".pdf" and I don't see away around this.

Ive tried taking the extension off the pdf first, but I'm afraid that will cause other problems.
G7 Process Control Master Printer - Prinergy - Insite - Metrix

Joe

I assume you are using %Current Document Name% variable in Pitstop. The only way you can do it using that variable is to remove the .pdf from the file name. One other possibility is to make sure the document title is set to the PDF file name minus the .pdf and then use the variable %Document Title%. See attached.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

TBKeffer

The document name is the original Indesign file name which I do not have.

Joe

If you mean document title you can change it to anything you please. File menu ===> Properties.

TBKeffer

Yes, I can change it, but its not productive if you have 50 pdfs to do. Maybe I can find a way for pitstop to delete the ".pdf" from the code i placed.

Joe

I requested at one time that they add another variable such as %Current Document Name No Ext% but so far they haven't added it.

DCurry

Could you add a small white box to hide ".pdf"? This would only work if the page has a white background in the area, and you would have to make sure your file name is right-justified so that the extension is always in the same place no matter how long the file name is.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

somebody had this same question once, you may want to do a search on this site
I think they found the answer, Good luck!

Joe

I asked once. That was when I requested Enfocus to "add another variable such as %Current Document Name No Ext%".

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pnamajck

try  using  the  "_replace"  parameter.

let's  say  i  have  a  *.pdf  file ... in  workshop,  the  complete  *.pdf  filename  is  M01722_test.p1.pdf ... if  i  wish  to  remove  unnecessary  extensions  from  the  filename:
    $[pagefilename_replace(.pdf,)]  i'd  get  M01722_test.p1
    $[pagefilename_replace(.p1.pdf,)]  i'd  get  M01722_test

of  course ... there  is  a  short-coming  that  may  occur  with  regard  to  the  second  choice ... depending   on  the  environment.  after  importing/ refining  a  single  multi-page  file  in  workshop ... M01722_test.p1  and  M01722_test.p2  and  M01722_test.p3 ... would  pose  a  problem.

however,  there's  a  way  to  circumvent  this ... prior  to  importing  the  files  into  workshop ... simply  split  the  multi-page  file (using acrobat-pro)  into  single  files.  then ... bring  them  into  workshop  the  following  way:  M01722_test_pg001.p1.pdf ... M01722_test_pg002.p1.pdf ... M01722_test_pg003.p1.pdf ... this  would  work  fine.

the  following  is  taken  directly  from  prinergy-workshop's  help  manual:
optional parameters:
    parameter:  _replace
    marks  used:  Any mark
    usage:  Use this parameter to allow you to shorten long color names.
for example:
    to shorten the color mark "PANTONE-1234" to "PMS-1234" the color mark is $[color_replace(PANTONE,PMS)]
    to shorten the color mark "PANTONE-1234" to "1234" the color mark is $[color_replace(PANTONE-,)]

tips:
the  comma(,)  is  a  necessary  argument  and  requires  a  value  present.

environment:
    mac-osx  ver 10.12 (sierra)
    prinergy  ver 8.0
    acrobat-pro

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DCurry on January 22, 2020, 10:04:21 AM
Could you add a small white box to hide ".pdf"? This would only work if the page has a white background in the area, and you would have to make sure your file name is right-justified so that the extension is always in the same place no matter how long the file name is.

Quite imposing can do this with it's "masking tape" function, I've used it before. You make one box on the first page and it will cover up the same spot in all other pages. You can make it any color you want so if it's on a solid color background it can work as well.

pspdfppdfxhd

But not if the background is different colors on different pages.

pnamajck

Quote from: DCurry on January 22, 2020, 10:04:21 AM" make sure your file name is right-justified so that the extension is always in the same place no matter how long the file name is."

"right-justified" ... is  this  a  parameter  for  preps  text-variables?  if  so ... that'd  come  in  handy.

DCurry

Actually, I'm not sure but it sure sounded like a good idea when I mentioned it!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!