Kodak support...are you kidding me?

Started by Joe, August 05, 2009, 07:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mark,

I wasn't sure. I just know it is Adobe Print Engine so I went to the Kodak site and for Prinergy Connect they say: Adobe's PDF Print Engine v1.1 is incorporated

So I guess it is not 2.0. Any other Prinergy users that can confirm or dispute this info?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pmhapp

Yeah, I don't /think/ Prinergy 5 uses APPE 2.  Maybe 5.1?

Marktonk

Hi Joe,

I was curious, we are shipping APPE 2.0. Perhaps it will resolve the problem you had with some pages with transparency. You may want to enquire about it.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

pmhapp

Prinergy 5.1 is supposed to be out before the summer is over.

Joe

Support issue is solved. I have it through both phone and eCentral. Mysteriously started working. No one knows why. :huh:

As for the sig selection issue...known bug to be fixed in an update.

pmhapp

born2print

Hey Joe, never heard of your Preps issue, but it may be the mix/match of floating+dongled
It may not be honoring your floating seats because the dongles aren't returned yet(?)
With us, we had a temporary floating license until the dongles were received and then we got a new permanent 3 seat floating license.

Another good reason to use eCentral rather than a telephone call is that your issue goes directly to pools of technicians rather than to a dispatch person. In my experience the response is quicker and more on point compared to phone-in.

Oh, and we're still running 4.0.2.48, not even on 4.1 yet.

Edits:
Saw issue is solved
We use APPE as default RIP and save CPS1 for occasional problem jobs. Much happier that when we started and used CPS1 as default. Also using AFP with a special procedure for loading jobs SMB when we get 1000 support files w/ looooooooooooooooong.names so we never did buy ExtremeZ/IP
 :cool:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Aaron

Hey Joe, I can't believe you have had a transparency issue already. I've had Prinergy for a little over a year now and I've only had to go back to CPSI like 3 times total. But now that I think about it, the first time was about a week after install. haha. maybe it just needs the get the cobwebs out.

Oh, instead of going through all your files and looking for transparency issues you can just rip using CPSI and it solves the problem (at least for me it did). Of course, you are using a different rip engine and should probably re-proof the job with the different rip engine. I just have the plate maker check the plates close and alert the pressmen to look closely compared to the proof. So far so good.

I thought APPE 1.1 was suppose to solve all those transparency issues... guess not.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

pmhapp

Joe

Quote from: born2print on August 13, 2009, 04:41:46 PMHey Joe, never heard of your Preps issue, but it may be the mix/match of floating+dongled
It may not be honoring your floating seats because the dongles aren't returned yet(?)
With us, we had a temporary floating license until the dongles were received and then we got a new permanent 3 seat floating license.

Another good reason to use eCentral rather than a telephone call is that your issue goes directly to pools of technicians rather than to a dispatch person. In my experience the response is quicker and more on point compared to phone-in.

Oh, and we're still running 4.0.2.48, not even on 4.1 yet.

Edits:
Saw issue is solved
We use APPE as default RIP and save CPS1 for occasional problem jobs. Much happier that when we started and used CPS1 as default. Also using AFP with a special procedure for loading jobs SMB when we get 1000 support files w/ looooooooooooooooong.names so we never did buy ExtremeZ/IP
 :cool:

LOL...not really solved. :laugh: They know about it but haven't fixed it.

We also use APPE as the default, Very happy with it so far.

Joe

Quote from: Aaron on August 13, 2009, 05:46:55 PMHey Joe, I can't believe you have had a transparency issue already. I've had Prinergy for a little over a year now and I've only had to go back to CPSI like 3 times total. But now that I think about it, the first time was about a week after install. haha. maybe it just needs the get the cobwebs out.

Oh, instead of going through all your files and looking for transparency issues you can just rip using CPSI and it solves the problem (at least for me it did). Of course, you are using a different rip engine and should probably re-proof the job with the different rip engine. I just have the plate maker check the plates close and alert the pressmen to look closely compared to the proof. So far so good.

I thought APPE 1.1 was suppose to solve all those transparency issues... guess not.

The two pages with transparency issues would not go through either one. Flattening in Acrobat is the only thing that allowed it to go through either. I will put our customers up against anyone for making crap files though. We had another doozie...

but it was a flattened PDF that would not go through the trapper. Finally sent it to Kodak and while I was waiting I found the same thing they found when they got back with me. There was two small pieces of art. Vector clipart. One was a hammer, one was a hand saw. Both had smooth shading. I suspect they originated from either Microsoft or a cheap clip art package. Selecting them in Pitstop by marqueeing a box around them showed the two together had over 15,000 paths. Since Prinergy is using vector trapping it would have taken hours (or days) to trap, if at all. The Kodak tech came back with, "It's a very poorly designed page that should be completely reworked and simplified." Ha Ha...welcome to my world Kodak! I can see they are going to love me....

:evil:

Joe

Quote from: pmhapp on August 13, 2009, 07:08:46 PMBTW, Prinergy 5.0 is using APPE 2.0.

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Aaron

Oh. Well 2.0 was suppose to solve all those ripping issues... But I guess like you said, leave it to designer to push the limits.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

frailer

Quote from: Joe on August 13, 2009, 07:53:17 PMThe Kodak tech came back with, "It's a very poorly designed page that should be completely reworked and simplified." Ha Ha...welcome to my world Kodak! I can see they are going to love me....

:evil:

Gave me a Friday arvo belly-laugh here.    :laugh:   ...but then, I guess it's no laughing matter. Sorry.    :embarrassed:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

prepresstex

Prinergy is crazy expensive and Nexus does a better Job and cheaper and faster. I use to run a trendsetter 16page and the prinergy wouldn't do it my client changd to Nexus and Kodak has the worst service and if you resell they won't service so you buy an expensive rip that if you want to change it is worth shit. It even is bettre to buy xitron with firstproof