printing white under solid colour

Started by wonderings, March 29, 2021, 12:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

Having issues with a file not printing white here. I sent a file to our wide format guys, it is going on a clear window film. They wanted me to put white behind the store name so the colours would be more vibrant. I made a spot "white" at 100% and put it behind. Store name is set to over print the white. When printing it does not print the white but prints the colour. I have not had this issue before and have tried a bunch of things with no luck. Fairly new to using white so maybe I am missing something. Anyone have an idea why the white would not print? It is directly behind the store name text, you will not see any white when it is finished printing.

Skryber

Not sure why this would make a difference, but I always overprint white on top of the color and change the ink order in Onyx. Are you using Onyx?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

You just can't make a spot color and call it white and hope it works. The white ink color has a name at the RIP.

For example:
for my OKI_ the white is called "Spotcolor_white"
for the Indigo_ it's called "White1"
for the OCE flatbed printer_ it's called "Spot1"

and like Skryber, I always put it on top, set it to overprint, then send to the back at the printer.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

Quote from: david on March 29, 2021, 12:51:46 PM
You just can't make a spot color and call it white and hope it works. The white ink color has a name at the RIP.

For example:

and like Skryber, I always put it on top, set it to overprint, then send to the back at the printer.

You have an Océ flatbed? Which one?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

an older GT 550 and a newish GT 2280
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

Quote from: david on March 29, 2021, 02:08:02 PM
an older GT 550 and a newish GT 2280

We have the GT 365. Only Océ machine I can stand behind.

wonderings

Quote from: david on March 29, 2021, 12:51:46 PM

For example:

Ours is "White". I did in the end figure out my problem, the spot white was set to over print the black which created a problem for some reason, when set to knock out it worked perfectly.