News:

Main Menu

Google fonts

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, June 10, 2021, 05:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Anyone had any bad experiences with Google fonts?

We seemed to have run into one with a pdf. Wondering if we should tell our client to avoid using them.

DCurry

Telling a client to avoid using something is like asking them "please use more of this all the time."
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Using Google fonts in a print project is akin to sleeping with the devil. They are WEB fonts for a reason.

But yeah what dcurry said.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Thanks, but I am telling them anyway. A pdf had a google font used in a heading and it substitued itself in one line for another font. Never seen anything like it, hard to believe but it happened. I have to give them an answer and I will tell them I consulted with experts and they told me to AVOID GOOGLE FONTS PLEASE!

DCurry

Their other printer never had a problem with it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on June 10, 2021, 06:25:51 AM
Their other printer never had a problem with it.

Neither will their next one. :sarcasm:

DCurry

We're all the next one.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on June 10, 2021, 06:36:18 AM
We're all the next one.

And the one after you will be told their last printer never had a problem with that. Prepress 101....people will lie to you. :angry:

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on June 10, 2021, 06:23:48 AM
Thanks, but I am telling them anyway. A pdf had a google font used in a heading and it substitued itself in one line for another font. Never seen anything like it, hard to believe but it happened. I have to give them an answer and I will tell them I consulted with experts and they told me to AVOID GOOGLE FONTS PLEASE!

Youse guys are the experts I consulted by the way.

DCurry

I can't say I've ever had a problem with them, nor even noticed them. Maybe I've never received any jobs using them - don't really know. I would think that as long as it's embedded in the PDF it shouldn't pose a problem.

Joe

Prinergy doesn't like them a lot of the time. Errors out during trapping with some BS error message no one knows what it means. If I download the font and then outline it with Pitstop they then trap just fine.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DCurry on June 10, 2021, 07:29:44 AM
I can't say I've ever had a problem with them, nor even noticed them. Maybe I've never received any jobs using them - don't really know. I would think that as long as it's embedded in the PDF it shouldn't pose a problem.

Maybe, but I like Joes answer better to a weird issue that I don't understand because it gives me an answer to this 'END OF THE WORLD" mistake.  :banana:

johnny_jay

Quote from: Joe on June 10, 2021, 07:37:19 AM
Prinergy doesn't like them a lot of the time. Errors out during trapping with some BS error message no one knows what it means. If I download the font and then outline it with Pitstop they then trap just fine.

We have had the same experience. If a customer asks, I tell them when using Google fonts to always review proofs carefully.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

David

you can always sub them out with a really nice Multi Master font...

:old:    :drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on June 10, 2021, 07:59:43 AM
you can always sub them out with a really nice Multi Master font...

:old:    :drunk3:

How dare you!

:facepalm: