Preps Crash!

Started by tapdn, April 23, 2008, 10:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

This has been happening for a while now and I am not sure if it is a Preps bug, Mac bug or combo.
From Preps if I do either a file open or save and try to navigate from the pull down menu at top of dialogue box the application crashes. Anyone else noticed this? OSX 10.4.11 / Preps 5.3.1

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

DigiCorn

I am running OSX 10.4.11 and Preps 5.3.1 and I just duplicated the problem you are having, sans the problem; it worked flawlessly for me. I navigated and opened several files from the pull down without issue.

Are you running a Power PC Mac like me, or is it one of the new Intel Macs? That could be an issue...

What would I do? A minor pain, but I would probably start by quitting preps and dumping the Preps preferences from the library and reboot. Create new default preferences and try again - if you want to see if the problem replicates itself. Oddly enough I had a Quark issue once on OS9 where Quark wouldn't open due to a corrupt font existing on my system - wasn't even an active font. Not sure if this could be an OSX issue or not, and it's a longshot, but if you have some time and want to investigate, run your fonts through Font Doctor X.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

LRob

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on April 23, 2008, 10:19:04 AMI am running OSX 10.4.11 and Preps 5.3.1 and I just duplicated the problem you are having, sans the problem; it worked flawlessly for me. I navigated and opened several files from the pull down without issue.

Are you running a Power PC Mac like me, or is it one of the new Intel Macs? That could be an issue...

What would I do? A minor pain, but I would probably start by quitting preps and dumping the Preps preferences from the library and reboot. Create new default preferences and try again - if you want to see if the problem replicates itself. Oddly enough I had a Quark issue once on OS9 where Quark wouldn't open due to a corrupt font existing on my system - wasn't even an active font. Not sure if this could be an OSX issue or not, and it's a longshot, but if you have some time and want to investigate, run your fonts through Font Doctor X.
I'm running OSX 10.4.11 and Preps 5.3.1 on an Intel Mac and I don't have a problem.

Exploded

I would remove those hashes # from your folder names for a start

tapdn

Quote from: Exploded on April 24, 2008, 04:55:09 AMI would remove those hashes # from your folder names for a start
...just curious, why?
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Adriano

Because any file name with ?><*&%# - can create postscript errors
Still not drinking. Never been better

tapdn

Yes, I am aware of that issue and discontinued the practice when naming print files that go through the rip some years ago. These are Macs we are dealing as far as Preps and archiving is concerned with and purely PDF workflow, so no PS is involved where # is involved. I see what you mean however.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Exploded

Anything with ?><*&%# rings alarm bells for me. Keep stuff like this out of the equation and your prepress life will be simpler.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Adriano on April 24, 2008, 06:56:27 AMBecause any file name with ?><*&%# - can create postscript errors

Are you cursing? Oh wait... lol!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Exploded

Don't bring WOW into this mygod

Joe

Quote from: tapdn on April 24, 2008, 08:12:59 AMYes, I am aware of that issue and discontinued the practice when naming print files that go through the rip some years ago. These are Macs we are dealing as far as Preps and archiving is concerned with and purely PDF workflow, so no PS is involved where # is involved. I see what you mean however.

As long as there is not any Windows machine involved you should be okay.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Exploded

you should be okay or will be ok?

Joe

Quote from: Exploded on April 24, 2008, 09:28:24 AMyou should be okay or will be ok?

Picky, picky..WILL be. :grin:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

tapdn

Methinks we do stray from the original issue (wot! in B4 forums).
I think this crash behavior is somehow related to some finder ad on that I have forgotten to remove since no one with my OS/Preps setup can replicate it..
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb