Section Sewn impo help please

Started by Exploded, May 09, 2008, 06:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

Hello guys,

I have a 292 pager section sewn into 24 page sections plus a 8 page section.

I have not done section sewn in like 10 years.

How do I set a section sewn up in preps?

Anyone please

Joe

I'm not familiar with the expression "sewn" in Preps. Can you be more specific in what you are wanting to do?

If you mean you want to impose and output it as one single job you just add in your 24 page impo 12 times and your 8 page impo once in the location where you want it to do the 8 pages in your signature list. Add your 292 pages in consecutive order in the run list and away you go.

After grabbing my calculator that isn't going to work. 24 x 12 = 288 which leaves you with 4 extra pages. Not 8.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Are you referring to "Smythe Sewn?" If you are I can help.

It basically has sewn sections that are glued to a cover, like a perfect bound book.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Sewn? I do a lot of perfect bound books, is that what you mean? I work in Preps all day so I might be able to help with a little more detail.

Perfect bound would consist of printing a sig, in your case pg 1-24 then sig 2 would be 25-48, etc... and they would stack on top of one another, grind the spine and bind the book. Also 24pg sigs? Printed on what? If it's a web, 24pg would include half webs on signature work, much easier to print 16's, 32's or 48's. But we may be talking about 2 different things.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Quote from: Exploded on May 09, 2008, 06:31:48 AMI have a 292 pager section sewn into 24 page sections plus a 8 page section.

I understood it to be 12+ 24-page saddle stitch booklets placed atop each other ala Perfect bound. I guess somewhere there's an 8-page section inserted? Not really clear. 24-page sections won't divide equally into 292, so you're gonna have some blank pages at the end that either won't print, or you toss. Earendil and DigitalCrapShoveler have the right idea.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Exploded

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1657.msg26014#msg26014 date=1210345458After grabbing my calculator that isn't going to work. 24 x 12 = 288 which leaves you with 4 extra pages. Not 8.

Yes its a 12 x 24 page sections plus a 4 page work and turn. Sorry..

Section sewn is saddle stitched sections stacked ontop of each other then stiched at the spine like this.

I think its the same as burst bound

Here is the first 8 sections to help you understand

frailer

This one I've never wrapped my mind around as well. Essentially, and please set me right if I'm off beam, is that you have 2 saddle-stitched sections, which are then stacked on each other, as "burst bond/perfect bound" sections. That's fine, and there are/should be simple workarounds, but you're essentially mixing binding styles.
I'm more used to DynaStrip these days; rusty on PREPS. I know they can do different things to each other, but am following this with interest.

My initial workaround would be to have different "jobs" for each "group". Group 2, for example, would have pp 25>48. I'd bring in pp 25-48 to the Run List. [Dyna or PREPS]. Print as G2, say.
At the end you'd have G1>Gx; to make up your whole perfect bound job.

...isn't it a stack of saddle stitches to make up a perfect bound job? Just flyin' a kite, is all. Or maybe I'm using the wrong impo app... :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

It looks like you're doing this for a sheetfed press, correct? What exactly are you having the problem with? Section 2, 3, & 4 is your first 24 page section which is pages 1-24, 5, 6, & 7 is the second 24 page section which is pages 25-48 etc... I'd run 6 24's then the 4 page work & turn and then the last 6 24's. That way the 4 pager is the center 4 pages of the book.

Exploded

Yes this is for sheet fed.

So I have to do 13 seperate impos 12 of 24s and 1 of the 4? I was hoping I could do it all in one go with Preps

Joe

I'm not all that familiar with doing sheet fed work but I think you should be able to do it as one preps job. I'd make up a 24 page impo as shown in your diagram but I'd make it as a perfect bound so the pages are in the right order where the first sig is 1-24, 2nd is 25-48 etc... Then on your template I'd select all of the right hand pages and change the bleed so it doesn't bleed on the left side of the right hand pages and then select all of the left hand pages and change the bleed on those so it does not bleed on the right hand side of the left hand pages. This is so the pages don't bleed over the spine where a perfect bound book normally has the grind off. Then make your 4 page impo, also as perfect bound and change the bleed on the fold edge as well in the template editor. Now add your pages in order to the run list 1 through 292. Then add in your 24 page sig 12 times and your 4 page sig once between the 6th and 7th 24 page sig.

Disclaimer: This is how I would do it on a web press. Quite possibly someone knows a better way to do this for a sheet fed press which I do very little of.

Ear

Joe, your way sounds good, that is how I would do it too. You have to build all of the forms one 24 pg sig into one template, kind of like a web run only paginated different. This is the only way to mix the saddle stitch/perfect bound thing that is going on. I will say that you don't have to kill the bleed at the spine because it will get taken off in the grind. I would kill bleed on the page 1 spread tho so you can add a traveling spine indicator to help bindery.

Do it the way Joe says, it is the easiest.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Ear, I don't think it's getting ground if you look at the photo the OP posted. If it is then I agree. You would not need to knock the bleed out on the spine.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1657.msg27128#msg27128 date=1210876484Ear, I don't think it's getting ground if you look at the photo the OP posted. If it is then I agree. You would not need to knock the bleed out on the spine.

I don't think Smyth sewn works like that. There is no grind on a smyth sewn. It basically folds like a ss, but stacks like PB. The sections are then sewn together and glued into the cover. It's been a while.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

In that case, you really don't need to worry about bleed because there is no bleed at the spine on a preps template in the first place.

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on May 15, 2008, 01:47:05 PMIn that case, you really don't need to worry about bleed because there is no bleed at the spine on a preps template in the first place.

Ummmm...there is on a perfect bound book isn't there?