No Pms Sheet marks

Started by Tracy, May 28, 2008, 05:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

The targets and center marks are not coming out on my spot color plate.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Are the marks built in Registration color? If not, they need to be. Some people build marks with 100% cyan, on top 100% Magenta etc, etc.. all set to overprint. This is fine when you only print process work, but if you print spots, you are outta luck. For a quick fix, remap all your spots to process, ie; PMS 185 to Magenta, PMS 287 to Cyan, don't forget to set screen angles! Then, after the dust settles, find the marks in question, and edit them to be what they should. Of course this is assuming the marks are built incorrectly and not a RIP/Preps feature set incorrectly.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Tracy, are you using SmartMarks or regular ones? I use only SmartMarks and have never seen this happen using the default values. I mean I've never had to edit them and they always come out on all colors.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

im using regular marks, i do believe something weird is happening. im trying to help fix a coworkers job. it has been quite the problem during a press check!!!! when the dust settles i will look into this. dcs i think he did remapp spot to cyan this wouldnt change screen values would it.? I have no idea what he did. Ill let you know what happens

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Tracy on May 29, 2008, 07:43:08 AMim using regular marks, i do believe something weird is happening. im trying to help fix a coworkers job. it has been quite the problem during a press check!!!! when the dust settles i will look into this. dcs i think he did remapp spot to cyan this wouldnt change screen values would it.? I have no idea what he did. Ill let you know what happens

No it wouldn't change the screen values, but it would change the screen angles. Old Prepress trick. Yes, let us know how it goes.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on May 29, 2008, 07:43:08 AMim using regular marks, i do believe something weird is happening. im trying to help fix a coworkers job. it has been quite the problem during a press check!!!! when the dust settles i will look into this. dcs i think he did remapp spot to cyan this wouldnt change screen values would it.? I have no idea what he did. Ill let you know what happens

You should learn SmartMarks. You'll never go back to regular. :laugh:

Tracy

how do i learn about smart marks?
i used the targets from the indesign file to at least get some pms targets on there. havn't had time to check to make sure the preps targets are set for registration yet. whew what a day!

Joe

You should have a PDF Preps User Guide either in the Preps folder or on the CD that came with Preps that explains them in detail. Plus Preps come with some pre-made SmartMarks. Just go to one of the menus, don't remember which since I'm not at work this week, and select "Import SmartMarks". Add some to your template and experiment.

Quotei used the targets from the indesign file to at least get some pms targets on there. havn't had time to check to make sure the preps targets are set for registration yet. whew what a day!

After reading this again, are you talking about marks created by InDesign or Preps? SmartMarks are in Preps. I assumed you meant the Preps generated sheet marks.

DigiCorn

As I have posted on this site, several times, I make my own marks to use. I have attached an example below. The sheet center mark (SCM whole) I do not bring to front, and put in the regular marks folder. A Ctrl-R will place the mark. I center this mark at the center of the tail bleeding off, and centered each the left and right side (and also 3" up from gripper) bleeding off in place of the Preps side guide. It is built in Illustrator as registration color and works for 4-color work as well as spot color work - no issues. From what I've heard in feedback from a variety of pressman, these are great marks.

This mark will work in any application.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

yes i was talking about preps, i had a spot color job today.. worked fine. it was my coworker having the problem, not sure why. thanks for the info on the smartmarks. and digital 1 thanks for the marks!
Oh and i checked out my marks and they were set for registration color.

Whoa, just checked out that mark, never seen anything like it!