PDF Proofing cycles

Started by Lammy, September 19, 2007, 06:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lammy

Anyone use the "send for review" feature out of acrobat?

I've tried it some this week. Not sure if I like it or not yet. Mostly because it seems clients don't want to put any effort into making comments and sending pdfs back. 8 out of 10 just emailed changes back. 1 of those 8 actually put a nasty note in about how they "didn't have the time or patients to learn new software".  ::)

How do you keep track of all the changes when there's different cycles and making changes goes back to a source file, ie indesign, that you then have to generate a new pdf from?
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

zox

Ignorance is bliss :D
We are doing it old fashion way.
We attach proof slip to proofs.
When it comes back, it is usually handwritten changes on proof slip.
We do revised proof with clean proof slip and send both back.
Once "OK'ed" we go to plate.

I wish we've had soft proofing solution such as Insite, but no guarantee all clients would use it either. ::)

prepressDog

Make and old verz folder in the job folder. Put the older verz in there each time you make a new PDF.

Name all your pdfs 5784_v1...5784_v2, etc.
We keep the source file current.

Works well for us...

beermonster

its a pain thats for sure.

i've never had anyone ever mark up a pdf - ever. as for not having time to learn new software - well it disappoints to hear it but it does not surprise me at all

i usually save pdf either on my desktop or in the job folder and overwrite the previous - its just me but having multiple versions of stuff is worrying.

our csr get approval of pdf's and stuff and they print out copies for checking against, so we pretty much always ditch our proof pdf's
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

born2print

I see you're on Rampage, but anyway, Kodak (Prinergy) has an option called InSite that does all of this and more... I'm trying to get thread(s) started in the Kodak page too...
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

30YearsandCounting

Quote from: beermonster on September 20, 2007, 03:29:49 AMi've never had anyone ever mark up a pdf - ever. as for not having time to learn new software - well it disappoints to hear it but it does not surprise me at all

We have a couple of customers who add annotations/comments to PDF proofs.  Usually it is when multiple people have to look at it, from different locations.  To be honest... it is a pain to try and catch everything.  You can print out the comments, but we still find it difficult.  It still is a lot easier to have a marked up proof in front of you.

Like it or not... it is the way things are going.  As born2print says InSite is one example of a more robust soft proofing system.  But... very expensive IMHO for what you get.  And, would customers actually use it?  I'm not convinced ...yet.

xot

We've had the Prinergy/Insite bundle installed for a little over a year and I can count on one hand the number of times we've used it for soft proofing. Most customers find it cumbersome/confusing.