Preps 5.3. HiRes or Links????

Started by whoami, October 08, 2007, 03:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoami

We are using a Nexus TotalRip here in our shop for all our premedia jobs.  We are getting ready to get all our Preps guys using the same rip.  Right now we have EPS links placed in the Imposition and we let OPI swap them out when we print.  I was wondering how other shops were doing it.  The way I want to do it is just place the HiRes PDF files in there and work with that.  I think with todays technology we will be able to handle the HiRes files with no problem.  What's the consensus HiRes or Links???????   

T

We are using Total Rip and Preps just the way you described. It works great because of the flexablity of the imposed PDF document. It's just a PDF so if you want or need to change anything it can mostly be done. (with Pitstop) Where as a postscript is set and hard to even view. We run a lot of POP and have large PDF files (up to 1GB) and it's working so far. (with the big PDFs, it is a bit slower)

T

Ear

I run a Xitron Extreme Workflow... It can work as either ROOM or NORM, I am using ROOM. The RIP creates Hi res and low res files, I place the low res (36dpi eps) in Preps, print back to the workflow and they get swapped for the high res for proof/plate. ROOM is great because I can preview an impo in the RIP and replace corrected pages without having to go back into Preps. I use the hell out of it and it saves a lot of time.

I have worked on a workflow that was placing high res files in Preps... it SUCKED... talk about a groaner, hit preview and go to lunch.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

kermit

Rampage workflow here. Using FPOs in Preps - it flies. not even a progress bar.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses