Acceptable Dot Gain Window

Started by Aaron, March 26, 2009, 07:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason

QuoteI don't know where this guy figures his math, but I am not even with that.

Check his website out, I doubt he has the math wrong.

QuoteIf a digital dot WITHOUT a curve in it reads 50%, then you are reading it at 60% of the Press sheet to make it easier... that is 20% dot gain. The 50% dot is PHYSICALLY 20% larger than it originally was.

Your making it too complicated, it's just face value. Trust me.

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude.

David

most people use the word "points" when referring to dot gain, like "my 50 reads a 70, so I have a 20 point dot gain"...

most people don't try to calculate the actual percentage.
If you are in fact getting a 70 read on your 50, you will probably see plugging in the shadows, most presses today will yield less than that, like in the 12-15 point gain, we here, on a bad day, can get almost 11 points gain, but we run a pretty tight press room.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Aaron

No plugging. We're running 20m Staccato. Looks pretty good actually.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yes I agree David. Points NOT percentages. And, Jason.... I am not arguing if the guy is wrong, or I am wrong, or even you are wrong... I am simply stating Percentage-wise the math is wrong. Point-wise it IS correct. AM I making any sense... I haven't had nearly enough coffee.
Member #285 - Civilian

jason

QuoteIf you are in fact getting a 70 read on your 50, you will probably see plugging in the shadows, most presses today will yield less than that, like in the 12-15 point gain

A lot of the larger printers around where I am are switching over to GRACOL. According to the GRACOL 2007 specs the TVI or Dot Gain for Grade #1 & #2 paper is Y=18%, M=20%, C=20%, K=22%.

If you are running GRACOL, then your Black will read as 72% on the press sheet. You will not see plugging in the Shadows if you monitor your Print Contrast which GRACOL says should be at 40.

Anyone notice that GRACOL & Pantone Color Bridge have roughly the same print specs??

jason

QuoteI am simply stating Percentage-wise the math is wrong. Point-wise it IS correct.

David explained it quite well, when talking dot gain it is referred to as Points.

Screw coffee, how about a beer.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: jason on March 26, 2009, 10:28:26 AM
QuoteI am simply stating Percentage-wise the math is wrong. Point-wise it IS correct.

David explained it quite well, when talking dot gain it is referred to as Points.

Screw coffee, how about a beer.

Hell yeah! I'll mix it with my coffee and Heroin for the day! Hahahahahaha, yeah, glad Dave got it there. Helps when we are all on the same page. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

I've heard it explained both ways but personally I've always did it as Jason explained it.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Me Jason, or Jason-Jason? Hahahahahahaha! Don't answer that G_Toner... DCS makey jokey.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

I've also used both ways, because it's not 20% of the 50% dot, it's 20% of the 100.

50% plus 20% (of the 50%) = 60
whereas 50% plus 20% (of the whole 0-100) = 70%

now, go running down the hall and scream cause your head is gonna 'splode Lucy!
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

here's the math:

QuoteNote that, unless Δ0,50 = 0, either the highlight critical printing fraction, awf, will be non-zero, or the shadow critical printing fraction, avf will be not unity, depending on the sign of Δ0,50. In instances in which both critical printing fractions are non-trivial, Viggiano recommended that a cascade of two (or possibly more) applications of the dot gain model be applied.

:blowup:
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Oh that's fine just so long as someone pays for that blatant use of math.

There's no math in prepress :angry: