Interactive PDF

Started by Aaron, September 01, 2009, 01:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Thanks beer. Yeah I was able to add a lot of "interaction" right in ID (buttons, transitions, etc). I didn't even know it was there. Although I prefer I didn't know. But you gots to do whats they tell ya to do's.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

beermonster

yeah man - i found the set tabbing order really cumbersome - the automatic function sucked royally, and ended up drawing buttons etc in the tabbed sequence required and this then retained the order. i did faff about with the reset tab order thing - pita silly thing really.

then formatting each one! i tried to be sneaky and copy paste but i found when the button was clicked it applied "whatever affect" to ALL the copied buttons! haaa that was fun

all in all i got reasonable results considering i'm crap :laugh: and its good enuff for our csr's and other "sundry" staff to fill in :grin:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Aaron

I'm just glad they don't sell the "bonus interactive file with your next print order!!" that often...
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Slappy

Quote from: beermonster on June 22, 2010, 09:21:01 AMthen formatting each one! i tried to be sneaky and copy paste but i found when the button was clicked it applied "whatever affect" to ALL the copied buttons! haaa that was fun
You can do that, you just have to go back & rename them in the Text Field Properties under General. I did the same thing, it was moderately easier to copy-paste and then rename, if there are a ton of like-sized field areas at least.

I looked around for some kind of friendlier form creation tool, even on the Windows side there wasn't anything. Not that was either Free or Cheap. I guess if you were doing a lot of these it would be worth investing in a standalone or Plug-In.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Syphon

I have "played" with the interactive stuff in InDesign CS4 and more recently InDesign CS5. The "page flip" is strictly a flash (swf) effect. When you export to SWF, just make sure the "Include Page Curl" is clicked on. As for interactive buttons, go to Window>Interactive>Buttons and click on the flyout menu in the upper right corner, you will find a Sample Buttons menu. Great if you don't want to create buttons from scratch. If you planning to get into interactive publications, the new InDesign CS5 adds a few new interactive features including animation without coding. But to get into serious interactive publications, you definitely will need to get into Adobe Flash Pro and Dreamweaver, in other words, you need to know coding.

BTW, for inspiration, check out the WIRED magazine on the iPad video. It was first laid out in InDesign CS5.
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/xd-inspire/introducing-wired-on-ipad
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

David

Quote from: Syphon on June 22, 2010, 05:19:24 PMBut to get into serious interactive publications, you definitely will need to get into Adobe Flash Pro and Dreamweaver, in other words, you need to know coding.
I just upgraded to the CS5 suite and the new Dreamweaver is so friggen easy, it's weird.
You can build web pages just like you're working in Indesign, it does all the coding for you.
Flash on the other hand, you will need to have some creativity and a working knowledge of animation and stuff to get the ball rolling.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Syphon

Quote from: david on June 23, 2010, 07:06:55 AM
Quote from: Syphon on June 22, 2010, 05:19:24 PMBut to get into serious interactive publications, you definitely will need to get into Adobe Flash Pro and Dreamweaver, in other words, you need to know coding.
I just upgraded to the CS5 suite and the new Dreamweaver is so friggen easy, it's weird.
You can build web pages just like you're working in Indesign, it does all the coding for you.
Flash on the other hand, you will need to have some creativity and a working knowledge of animation and stuff to get the ball rolling.

Wow! Maybe I need to take a look at Dreamweaver CS5 then since I now have CS5. I love doing things that don't require knowing any coding. If you have the Design Premium CS5, take a look at Flash Catalyst, it doesn't require any coding knowledge either.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

David

That's the one I got.
I've been hanging out at Lynda.com now for almost 3 months trying to get up to speed on some of the new stuff.
(after recently upgrading 3 Macs with Adobe products, I claimed the free 30 day trial at Lynda.com for three times, hence the 3 months worth of training)
WOOT!
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: Syphon on June 23, 2010, 07:17:54 AM
Quote from: david on June 23, 2010, 07:06:55 AM

Wow! Maybe I need to take a look at Dreamweaver CS5 then since I now have CS5. I love doing things that don't require knowing any coding. If you have the Design Premium CS5, take a look at Flash Catalyst, it doesn't require any coding knowledge either.

We do a lot of Dreamweaver work here ... don't think you'll be able to design any but the most simple website in DW. 100% of the PURL jobs we do involve doing a lot of the work in Dreamweaver, and then correcting by hand the coding mistakes that DW makes. I don't really foresee web design ever becoming 100% coding-free.

gnubler

Quote from: david on June 23, 2010, 07:06:55 AMYou can build web pages just like you're working in Indesign, it does all the coding for you.

You realize there are web development purists who would twitch at that statement.

:tongue:

Nobody should be allowed to build serious websites without knowing, at the minimum, HTML & CSS.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

yeah, I tend to agree, but you have to see it in CS5, I was amazed.

I will qualify that with, depending on what you want to achieve, there is some coding, but, it's way easier to see it and realize the results faster.
...and it has the built in browser tester for all your favorite browsers.
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

SHOW ME THE CODE!

(Isn't that a movie quote or something?) :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

show you mine if you show me yours...

not sure if that's a movie quote, but it should be

:laugh:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: david on June 23, 2010, 09:35:28 AMshow you mine if you show me yours...

I'm sorry, that's classified.

Get yer own code!

youston

Quote from: gnubler on June 23, 2010, 09:28:49 AMSHOW ME THE CODE!

String.noLC = new Object
  ({the:1, a:1, an:1, and:1, or:1, but:1, aboard:1,
    about:1, above:1, across:1, after:1, against:1,
    along:1, amid:1, among:1, around:1, as:1, at:1,
    before:1, behind:1, below:1, beneath:1, beside:1,
    besides:1, between:1, beyond:1, but:1, by:1, 'for':1,
    near:1, of:1, off:1, on:1, onto:1, opposite:1,
    outside:1, over:1, past:1, per:1, plus:1,
    regarding:1, since:1, than:1, through:1, to:1,
    toward:1, towards:1, under:1, underneath:1, unlike:1,
    until:1, up:1, upon:1, versus:1, via:1, 'with':1,
    within:1, without:1});
String.prototype.titleCase = function () {
  var parts = this.split(' ');
  if ( parts.length == 0 ) return '';
  var fixed = new Array();
  for ( var i in parts ) {
    var fix = '';
    if ( String.noLC[parts] )
    {
      fix = parts.toLowerCase();
    }
    else if ( parts.match(/^([A-Z]\.)+$/i) )
    { // will mess up "i.e." and like
      fix = parts.toUpperCase();
    }
    else if ( parts.match(/^[^aeiouy]+$/i) )
    { // voweless words are almost always acronyms
      fix = parts.toUpperCase();
    }
    else
    {
      fix = parts.substr(0,1).toUpperCase() +
                 parts.substr(1,parts.length);
    }
    fixed.push(fix);
  }
  fixed[0] = fixed[0].substr(0,1).toUpperCase() +
                 fixed[0].substr(1,fixed[0].length);