Any Thoughts on a Xerox 700?

Started by saver13, December 17, 2009, 10:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saver13

We are thinking about upgrading to a Xerox 700. We currently have a Xerox 6060 with a Creo frontend, and we are considering replacing it with a Xerox 700 with a Fiery front end. Most of our work is done on 12x18 heavy weight gloss coated stock that are variable. Any thoughts on switching from Creo to Fiery? Any thoughts on the Xerox 700 on heavy weight stocks?

Skryber

We have a Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery front end and a Konica Minolta with Creo front end and having used both, I'm partial to the Fiery. I haven't used a 700. Make sure you ask a lot of questions and get everything in writing. Xerox sales guys out here are tricky.

Read this:

https://www.b4print.com/general-prepress/xerox-700/msg81780/#msg81780

edit: And I've changed my mind about the Creo since then.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

saver13

Do you run alot of variable data on the Fiery? We are using Darwin

Skryber

Quote from: saver13 on December 17, 2009, 10:50:42 AMDo you run alot of variable data on the Fiery? We are using Darwin

When we use variable data, we run the file through DesignMerge in Quark or if it's something simple like numbering we use Indesign and actually build the files and then send to the printer. We don't use it often.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

saver13

Did you guys buy directly through Xerox or a third party? How long was it when you went from 8 cents per click to 11 cents?

Skryber

Quote from: saver13 on December 17, 2009, 11:08:39 AMDid you guys buy directly through Xerox or a third party? How long was it when you went from 8 cents per click to 11 cents?

We bought through Fuji but the Xerox sales guys are who we did all the interacting with. I think we had the machine 3 years when they jacked up the click charge but in our contract, it says they can do that anytime they want. Naturally, my company didn't actually READ the contract before signing it, as they had no idea they could do that for no reason at all.

Possum

It'll duplex up to 220 gsm through the trays, and print up to 300 gsm through the manual tray, but forget about front to back registration duplexing manually.
Main problem is that you HAVE to have climate controlled area to run coated stock. We have lots of problems duplexing any coated stocks except for C1S - jams, doubles going through. I recently had to redo 20 out of 120 booklets, 4 sheets plus inserted cover because of doubles. Last time we had our service tech down here for paper jams and I told him we were duplexing coated stock, he just rolled his eyes...
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

tuff_gong

Got a 700, we have had constant problems getting it to duplex accurately. Support had been a problem - we bought if from a local office machine dealer, not really conversant with production printing. Early on I was having trouble sending files from Preps. Talked to Xerox support and was asked "Preps? Did that come bundled with your Mac?"
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

Possum

I'm also having a lot of fun because I have the wrong software installed. The tech gave us the number of the correct version, but after close to two years, we still don't have it. The sales rep, whose job it is to get it, tells us he's looking for software for a G4 (we have an MDD running Panther, which is the highest we can go and still run our old RIP). So I can't access Colorwise Pro Tools at all, meaning I can't calibrate. The Windows computers in the office have the correct software, and believe me, those computers are older than the MDD. I've told my boss they ought to get a discount on the lease because of this.
And the machine argues with me. Anytime there's a paper jam, once it's cleared and the drawers all shut, the screen comes up saying the wrong size paper is in the tray. It's the same paper it was printing a minute ago! I have to open and shut the tray to get it to start. The tech has no clue why it does that. I said, "What happens, the paper fairy comes and changes the paper while I'm not looking?"

t-pat

X700 number 2 just showed up here, still in the stretch wrap.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Jonathan

Quote from: Possum on December 17, 2009, 04:15:53 PMI'm also having a lot of fun because I have the wrong software installed. The tech gave us the number of the correct version, but after close to two years, we still don't have it. The sales rep, whose job it is to get it, tells us he's looking for software for a G4 (we have an MDD running Panther, which is the highest we can go and still run our old RIP). So I can't access Colorwise Pro Tools at all, meaning I can't calibrate. The Windows computers in the office have the correct software, and believe me, those computers are older than the MDD. I've told my boss they ought to get a discount on the lease because of this.
And the machine argues with me. Anytime there's a paper jam, once it's cleared and the drawers all shut, the screen comes up saying the wrong size paper is in the tray. It's the same paper it was printing a minute ago! I have to open and shut the tray to get it to start. The tech has no clue why it does that. I said, "What happens, the paper fairy comes and changes the paper while I'm not looking?"

Your should be able to get the correct software due to the fact Xerox has a 3 year customers satisfaction guarantee for a replacement model. Mentioning that might speed up getting the correct software...
http://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/template/017.jsp?view=Prod_TSG&Xcntry=USA&Xlang=en_US

Possum

Yeah, I told my boss about that. I don't know what the hold-up is, but the ball's not in my court anymore.

From what I've read, Xerox rushed these into production to feature them at a trade show and they were not ready. We had a firmware update in just a few months, and there seem to be numerous problems with them. They can be a remarkable machine if you have the right shop conditions for it, we just don't. And coated stock will still give you fits.