News:

Main Menu

Sierra

Started by Ear, August 11, 2010, 09:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

I'm in the middle of the install and training on Xenith Sierra. We are migrating from Xenith Xitron Extreme. So far, I'm really liking it. It looks almost exactly like XMF. I even saw a couple of Fuji references when going through settings. Looks like a clone or something.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Cool. New stuff is always fun to play with. Until the higher ups ruin it by wanting actual work done.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Has the training rep punched you in the face yet? He's probably getting close...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

You know Gnub, when you're looking up from the bottom, all you can see is assholes. Maybe you just need to change your perspective.  :tongue:

The training rep loves me. We had a jolly good time. He's competent too. See, perspective.  :kiss:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

Anyway... Training is complete.

The only drawback I have found with Sierra so far is the built-in imposition. It seems to be in it's infancy, compared to Preps. The current version lacks the ability to create multi-web signatures for on-line, web finishing. It has standard templates that are called patterns. This is lame. It would be fine for basic sheetfed jobs but will not cut it in the web world. They have an upgrade coming out soon that is supposed to fix this and become more web press compliant... we'll see.

For now, on multi-web jobs such as high page count tabs and things like 48 page signatures, I have to print a JDF out of preps, at which point I can add it as a template to Sierra. This removes any dynamic template features but it gets the job done, so I guess it'll work for now.

David

keepin' it clean folks...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

oops  :embarrassed: Thanks Dave, forgot we weren't in the bar. Sorry.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

OK, the question I asked in another thread is partially answered here. Must be an OEM arrangement with FFEI. BTW, XMF v3 is out. It will only run on Intel, on the Mac side. Am guessing it may have some web upgrade stuff, which will filter your way, presumably. Looks like JDF is your saviour here though.
I have a part-time op here, GenY, who was dummy-spitting about transitioning from PREPS to XMF impo. PREPS can blah blah...do blah blah blah...For about 2 days he was doing PREPS>dotPS>Distill>PDF 'sheets' into XMF. After that there was a deafening silence...PREPS not fired up once since then.  Got a feeling the dongle may have some dry joints in it by now.  :laugh:   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Wow. PS into the JDF workflow? Lame. You can also send "fat" files from preps, if you had to but it's a groaner putting full-res files into Preps. Reminds me of the old PSM days... hit preview and go to lunch.  :rolleyes:

I tried to not do the whole "Preps can do..." thing with the trainer. I found the XMF imposition to be pretty cool actually. There are a few things Preps will do that XMF simply won't, like web-press impos FFS, but they're supposed to have that fixed real soon. My Sierra rep said he'd get it to us early so I can try to break it.  :grin:

Ear

Alright... now my problem is with the licenses. I have my dongle and have PAID for the workflow and all licenses but the licenses keep crapping out on me. Fucking Adobe decided to attach licensing to every little task and it's causing me to ditch the new workflow and fire back up on the old one until I can get a web-ex in the morning. PDF engine, tiff export to platesetter and proofer each require licenses. Mine are valid. The install tech wrestled with this for a couple days and now I'm having problems with it.

Seriously, is it me or are there that many "Tiff-Pirates" looking to download illegal 1-bit tiffs to secret platesetters? C'mon Adobe, knock the shit off and let me get to work, you have your money.

:blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

frailer

Quote from: Earendil on August 16, 2010, 02:52:49 PMAlright... now my problem is with the licenses. I have my dongle and have PAID for the workflow and all licenses but the licenses keep crapping out on me. Fucking Adobe decided to attach licensing to every little task and it's causing me to ditch the new workflow and fire back up on the old one until I can get a web-ex in the morning. PDF engine, tiff export to platesetter and proofer each require licenses. Mine are valid. The install tech wrestled with this for a couple days and now I'm having problems with it.

Seriously, is it me or are there that many "Tiff-Pirates" looking to download illegal 1-bit tiffs to secret platesetters? C'mon Adobe, knock the shit off and let me get to work, you have your money.
I tend to forget that Adobe Licensing prolly runs in background of XMF.  :shocked:  Must ask about that. Not sure why it would, though. Wouldn't FFEI, in my case, have pre-licensed what's required? Why would the end-user customer have to even think about it? Or am I naive? The latter, I suspect.
All I know is, I have had just enough experience with Adobe's cursed FLEXNet 3rd party Licensing  :police: to be very afraid for you.   :sad:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Ear

Quote from: frailer on August 16, 2010, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: Earendil on August 16, 2010, 02:52:49 PMAlright... now my problem is with the licenses. I have my dongle and have PAID for the workflow and all licenses but the licenses keep crapping out on me. Fucking Adobe decided to attach licensing to every little task and it's causing me to ditch the new workflow and fire back up on the old one until I can get a web-ex in the morning. PDF engine, tiff export to platesetter and proofer each require licenses. Mine are valid. The install tech wrestled with this for a couple days and now I'm having problems with it.

I tend to forget that Adobe Licensing prolly runs in background of XMF.  :shocked:  Must ask about that. Not sure why it would, though. Wouldn't FFEI, in my case, have pre-licensed what's required? Why would the end-user customer have to even think about it? Or am I naive? The latter, I suspect.
All I know is, I have had just enough experience with Adobe's cursed FLEXNet 3rd party Licensing  :police: to be very afraid for you.   :sad:

Absolutely... Adobe licensing runs behind all things Adobe. Your workflow is basically the same as mine with an Adobe Core. Any time you send a 1-bit tiff to your platesetter, it must pass Adobe license... same with proofers and even the PDF normalizer stage.

I just talked to the tech and we'll get it squared away, but it's a PITA, for sure. He said it has only gotten bad in the last year, so you may have gotten your install b4 Adobe went total license-nazi.

frailer

Well, we are due for XMF v3 major upgrade. Forewarned...   :rolleyes:

Ear