New postal requirements - Folded Self Mailer changes

Started by t-pat, January 11, 2013, 12:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Our mailing god sent me this, if you do mailings or design pieces for mail this is a very good explanation of the recent changes that went into effect 1/5/2013.

http://www.slideshare.net/pitneybowes/folded-self-mailer-changes-what-you-need-to-know
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

thanks for the link! there are a bunch of changes this year concerning mailing.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on January 11, 2013, 12:42:54 PMthanks for the link! there are a bunch of changes this year concerning mailing.

we've got 2 years of using IMB fortunately. We're at least on top of that, didn't put it off until the very last minute to figure out what we needed to do.
vdp donkey

t-pat

and I just failed my first job for not meeting the new closure location requirements for a trifold. Tabs or glue must be at the top edge, last folded panel must be opposite the address panel side. Crap, just got finished proofing it all 2x before checking that part.
vdp donkey

Slappy

Quote from: t-pat on January 11, 2013, 12:36:23 PMOur mailing god sent me this, if you do mailings or design pieces for mail this is a very good explanation of the recent changes that went into effect 1/5/2013.

http://www.slideshare.net/pitneybowes/folded-self-mailer-changes-what-you-need-to-know
Excellent, I'll send that to my work email because all we got was a horribly vague notice from the higher-ups that "some things" had changed and to be careful.  :shoots_self:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

delooch

ive been on top of this, we do a buttload of "legal notice" self-mailers. we get anywhere from 20-300 dropped on us daily.this has become a big PITA, as one of them now has to change over to a 14" setup because there was an 8.5x8.5 map printed on the mailing side, and the new regs wont allow the positioning.

so now the letter-sized noticed is now legal sized to accomodate the map & folding regs, and theres a 3.5" block of nothing now. plus, i have to keep a damn folder setup for a double-parallel fold all the time.

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

t-pat

note that this only applies to Folded mailings, not postcards. I think that stuff changed too, but I have to catch up on those.
vdp donkey

steve_r

Here's a link to the latest FSM Regs update
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2013/pb22363/html/updt_003.htm
Basically you can now have the final closing panel be the address panel with the addition of a tab on the lead edge.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Shocking. I set one up a couple weeks ago and asked about the mailing panel position and was told to "print it". So I did. What do I care...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

I asked ahead of time, and was told to plate it. Seconds after the last plate fell into the stacker, I was told to fix it the way I originally asked about.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

If you don't have one of these, they're free at your local PO, go get some:

That is "Notice 67"

More info here:

http://pe.usps.com/mpdesign/mpdfr_addl_all.asp
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

The one I have is almost 20 years old. Still good?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 08, 2013, 11:41:56 AMThe one I have is almost 20 years old. Still good?

:whip:

NO - they didn't have IMB 20 years ago.
vdp donkey