Serious help needed

Started by jimking, February 28, 2013, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

My Preps 5.3.3 went bonkers on me. Out of the blue it will not allow me to select a template I created. Refuses to allow me to even see it. And it got worse in a hurry. When I make a template, save then "File, New Job, PDF=PDF" to bring up the "File list",  and completing the file list, then print to create the PJTF, a message appears "Internal template name CFW 5.5x8.5 144 pager.tpl is a duplicate and will be ignored". Any template I attempt to make a PJTF gives me the same message. All templates are named differently. I've restarted the computer, got off the network, made new templates, looked for "Preps Preferences" to trash but can not locate. Preps is loaded on my G4, templates and such are on the network and have been for years. The one thing that could have started this is that at times I will modify an existing template for a new job and rename it. The issue started last week but I was able to shake it but no longer. HELP!!

DigiCorn

How can we help? I might consider backing up everything, and reinstalling...  :angry:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

jimking

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 28, 2013, 03:49:02 PMHow can we help? I might consider backing up everything, and reinstalling...  :angry:
Just reinstalled not long ago, after a major crash and it was a bear. I do not like this PJTF bs at all, never did.

jimking

I was hoping someone  has had this stinking issue before and has a solution.

Joe

"Internal template name CFW 5.5x8.5 144 pager.tpl is a duplicate and will be ignored"

means you have templates named the same thing. Preps has two different names that should be the same for the file name and the internal name. The file name is one and the internal template name is the other, can be seen by opening the template and doing COMMAND+I. You cannot have two or more templates using same internal name even if the file names are different.

So make sure the file name and the internal name match for each template.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2013, 04:16:05 PM"Internal template name CFW 5.5x8.5 144 pager.tpl is a duplicate and will be ignored"

means you have templates named the same thing. Preps has two different names that should be the same for the file name and the internal name. The file name is one and the internal template name is the other, can be seen by opening the template and doing COMMAND+I. You cannot have two or more templates using same internal name even if the file names are different.

I did check that "command i" also and they are different. That's what's bugging the hell out of me. Even if I make a template from scratch and call it Jesus Christ, it gives me the same message. When I get to work tomorrow I'll double check the command i and type something different in the field and see what happens.  Thanks Joe

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2013, 04:16:05 PM"Internal template name CFW 5.5x8.5 144 pager.tpl is a duplicate and will be ignored"

I thought that meant that you had 2 templates that were exactly the same in every way except for the file name. That's when I've gotten that message, anyway. I've got plenty of templates that have internal signatures that share a name and no problems.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

MCpwr

Quote from: jimking on February 28, 2013, 03:57:12 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on February 28, 2013, 03:49:02 PMHow can we help? I might consider backing up everything, and reinstalling...  :angry:
Just reinstalled not long ago, after a major crash and it was a bear. I do not like this PJTF bs at all, never did.

The JDF workflow is so much easier to use. We had a similar issue once and it was that the paths for the folders got whacked, reset them and we were good to go. I also remember having an issue were we couldn't save anything, it ended up being that the license key wasn't being recognized by Prinergy. I had to clear it, re-enter and save it. That fixed that problem.

Having more fun then you can shake a stick at since 1987!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on February 28, 2013, 05:35:31 PM

I thought that meant that you had 2 templates that were exactly the same in every way except for the file name. That's when I've gotten that message, anyway. I've got plenty of templates that have internal signatures that share a name and no problems.

Yeah, sorry. It is not COMMAND+I as that gives you the signature name of the selected signature.

To see the template file name and the internal template name, from the Template menu, select "Template Information..." and you will see the image below.

Template name (internal name) and template file name (external name of the file) can be the same or they can be different but what you cannot have is two different templates sharing the same internal name.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

jimking

Thanks all for the info. I checked the names and they are fine in every way. I changed the names as test--same issue. Even templates made years ago are giving me the same message. I remapped the pref--folders. Even when I pull the template out onto the desktop it still gives me that message. I keep thinking if I can dump a preference file and restart my work, but is there a preference file I can trash?

jimking

It seems I may have found a solution, strange as it is. All our templates are named with a prefix---example the first letter represents the paper size, the next two letters represent whether it is sheetwise, flatwork etc. CSW 5.5x8.5 144pg means 19x25 sheetwise. Leave off the prefix and everything works fine. Go figure?

MCpwr

Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 01:29:54 PMIt seems I may have found a solution, strange as it is. All our templates are named with a prefix---example the first letter represents the paper size, the next two letters represent whether it is sheetwise, flatwork etc. CSW 5.5x8.5 144pg means 19x25 sheetwise. Leave off the prefix and everything works fine. Go figure?

Surprised it hasn't been an issue before but now it is. There still may be some corruption and you might want to dump the preference files. As long as it's working, sometime that's all that matters. :rolleyes:

t-pat

yeesh you're making me twitch remembering all those size specific templates. We had tens of thousands. So spoiled now with v6 and folding patterns. It was gratifying to move those templates out of Preps folder path.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

MCpwr

Quote from: t-pat on March 01, 2013, 01:43:55 PMyeesh you're making me twitch remembering all those size specific templates. We had tens of thousands. So spoiled now with v6 and folding patterns. It was gratifying to move those templates out of Preps folder path.

We've had training on 6 but still not using it. Have to wait for the rest of corporate to catch up. :undecided:   Can't wait to use it on a daily basis.